Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Shower smell, only after showering

Our shower smells bad after showering. The smell starts to reveal itself after the water has been running for a few minutes and continues to smell for several hours afterward. At first I thought it was mold or mildew but after searching on the internet a bit now I'm wondering if it's something the drain.

I have tried getting down on my hands and knees and sniffing different parts of the shower but there is no obvious culprit.

The smell is kind of sewer-y. But perhaps that could be mildew/mold? The shower could use a cleaning. Pics below. The black bits in the corners are very hard/impossible to get rid of. I think they'd need to be re-caulked. There are also dark spots on the tiles that don't want to go away. So I don't really know where to begin....

Thoughts appreciated.

Name:  DSC05465.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  DSC05464.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  DSC05466.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  29.1 KB

tomsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

With the wall tiles being so different from the floor tiles, I would suspect that there have been problems in the past and someone re-built half the shower. Perhaps they didn't join them properly and water is penetrating where is shouldn't. Leading to water/moisture/mold in the wall or floor of the shower. Then each time you get it wet again, it becomes apparent.
Do you know how old the shower is? Or if/when any changes were made?

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I hadn't thought of that. No idea if/when/what's been done to it. I am thinking though that the wall tiles are subway tile, which generally are only used on walls, no? Perhaps the difference is intentional? I never thought of it as out of place.

Can mold smell sewer-y? I guess it can probably smell like just about anything depending on what mood it's in...
tomsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

First of all let me say I'm no expert. I've done a couple of tiling jobs, including retiling my shower. I also spend way too much time here reading (so if Jaz comes in and tells you I'm wrong, listen to him).

Two things struck me about your pic.
1) The mismatched tiles. Yes, subway tiles are used for walls, not floors, but why wouldn't have they used the matching tile like on the short wall? They are not what I would have put together if I was doing an entire bathroom. It just looks patched together to me.
2) Where does that little niche go? I assume that is a bathtub on the left of the glass? Does water pool there after a shower?

It just looks weird to me, like maybe it was built by someone who didn't really know how to plan or execute a bathroom properly.

Do you have a wider pic of the room?
Attached Images

Last edited by Blondesense; 01-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote