Shower Rough In - Miscellaneous Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Shower Rough In - Miscellaneous Questions

I have completely gutted and am now in the rebuilding process of a mid-sized bathroom. The 30x60 tub is being converted to a 42x48 shower by stealing some space from adjacent closets. This is to make the bathroom as accessible as possible.

Since we converted from a swing to pocket door, we built a new wall inside the bathroom to provide the space for plumbing and strength for tile and grab bars. I picked up a Moen shower faucet and am ready to start my rough-in.

The shower never had individual shutoff valves. One valve (in the basement) controlled both sink and shower. I'm changing this to quarter turn ball valves at both. Is there any special location to put the valves? I was just going to sweat them in a few inches below the Moen valve body.

I will also need an access panel to reach the valves from the hallway outside the bathroom. I was going to just buy a ready made one to pop into a hole in the drywall and would like to minimize the size. Is there any minimum size I need to use (as long as I can reach the shutoff valves)? The pocket door will also slide through this opening, so I will be sure there is plenty of clearance.

Edit to add: I see many instances of showers without access panels. Would I be better off just putting the valves in the basement and leaving the drywall intact? It would be very easy to discover the control location from the shower side of the wall and open up the drywall if ever necessary.

The faucet and shower head will be on the 48" wall. I want the shower head centered, but am afraid locating the control directly below might make it difficult to reach from outside the shower to let the water warm up, especially for someone with mobility issues. Would it look incredibly odd to have the control 12-15" from the opening and shower head at 24"? Any issues with a 90 degree bend after the valve?

I assume I should also get a plug for the shower head connection to pressure test everything before the backerboard and tile go up. Knew I forgot to buy something yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Advertisement

Last edited by tev9999; 02-13-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add info.
tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Shower Rough In - Miscellaneous Questions

Ive never seen the need for shut offs on shower supply lines myself but thats just me anyway.
Offsetting the valve from the shower head may look a little odd but I dont believe it will cause any major performance issues

Advertisement