DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

shower rough in frusteration!

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  frodo601 
#1 ·
Ok, so im not a plumber, but i am trying to put in a shower rough for a bathroom remodel. The hot and cold supply was already there. Im just trying to hook them into the new shower rough in. 1/2 male copper fittings going into 1/2 female brass shower rough in wrapped in teflon tape......leak, but just barely. I have redone them several times and the same result. All of my soldered connections are leak free. The threaded connections are killing me.

Should I use something besides teflon tape? Tape and some pipe dope? What kind for copper to brass? How much should I be cranking these fittings into the rough? Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
yeah what ron said. he was right but, if you pipe dope and teflon before you sweat it togather. then it will leak every time. take it apart put your dope on it, put it tagather,then wrap it with a wet rag,as your solider it keep it cool.. or the heat will melt your tape out you savey frodo

#6 ·
rectasol

have they come out with a pipe dope you can get hot, and wont leak? i am 50 years old, kinda old school,stuck in the past. they keep commen up with new stuff, i remember when polybutalane water pipe came out , everybody had to have it. it dont work no more we went back to copper then they came out with pex , i think we will be going back to copper pretty soon. i met a young [19 or 20] year old "plumber" who could not solider. pretty sad huh ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.