Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shower Remodel

Ok this is my first post so here it goes. i am currently remodeling a bathroom which includes a 32 x 32 shower. My question stems from the shower faucet. before I had a two knob shower (Hot & Cold) and I am switching to a single handle faucet. I think i have some what of a grip on it but i want some assurances. I want to use PEX tubing as much as possible with little if no soldering. My thought is to cut the supply lines coming from the floor and hook PEX into the copper and run PEX to the shower valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have pictures at home and can attach if necessary! Thanks In Advance!

moneypittI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #2

Shower Remodel

pex works great.i see no problem with it.

rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

Shower Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph58 View Post
pex works great.i see no problem with it.
Totally agree. I do however run copper to showerheads. Makes the head a little sturdier.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

Shower Remodel

i agree even though most pex eared ells have 3 mounting holes instead of the brass sweat ell having 2.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #5

Shower Remodel

I got'er done this weekend! Very easy job and cost me about 40.00 with the renting of the crimper. The only thing i could have done different was use Sharkbites to couple the copper pipe to the PEX. Instead i solderd a female to the copper pipe with a male tramnsition to PEX!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #6

Shower Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypittI View Post
I got'er done this weekend! Very easy job and cost me about 40.00 with the renting of the crimper. The only thing i could have done different was use Sharkbites to couple the copper pipe to the PEX. Instead i solderd a female to the copper pipe with a male tramnsition to PEX!

They do make a swt x pex adapter
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #7

Shower Remodel

OK I am puzzled. Both of the water lines that run into my single handle shower valve are now both hot to the touch. I cant turn on the shower because there is no subfloor in the shower right now. Is that normal??? Also one other thing that has me puzzled. Since disconnecting the old shower faucet now my Kithchen sink has hot weater running through it when i turn on the cold water. It will eventually turn cold but it takes awhile. The kitchen and bath lines kinda all feed off the same line! Any suggestions on what the hell is up!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #8

Shower Remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

They do make a swt x pex adapter
I did use the sweat Copper to PEX adapter! Thanks EPlumber!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #9

Shower Remodel

do you have a recirc.line for your hot water ? did your faucet come with cartridge inatalled or with a temporary test plug that you will take out and install cart. when you trim out ? you could have hot water
migrating to the cold side if either 2 of the above sentences are true or you have a cross connection !
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Shower Remodel

Did you solder any adapters to your shower valve? Too much heat will damage the cartridge
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #11

Shower Remodel

Quote:
OK I am puzzled. Both of the water lines that run into my single handle shower valve are now both hot to the touch. I cant turn on the shower because there is no subfloor in the shower right now. Is that normal??? Also one other thing that has me puzzled. Since disconnecting the old shower faucet now my Kithchen sink has hot weater running through it when i turn on the cold water. It will eventually turn cold but it takes awhile. The kitchen and bath lines kinda all feed off the same line! Any suggestions on what the hell is up!
You need to install the cartridge if it's a delta or cartridge based rough in housing. I had this same problem, you can open the cap and put a plug in it, or just install the actual full cartridge to solve this problem. Some of the rough ins have stops (WS) "With stops" Those are great for this problem, close one or both of them.. I didn't get the one with stops and I didn't have the little plug, so I had to install the full cartridge and cover it with tape.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #12

Shower Remodel

Yes I have a test plug in the faucet. No i did not solder anything near the valve itself. The piece i have on the front of the valve is grey and a large silver O-Not holds it in place. A Black plastic cup type thing is connected to it. Should I go ahead and put in the cartridge even though I am no where near close to finishing the shower! Thanks Guys for all the replys!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #13

Shower Remodel

Quote:
Yes I have a test plug in the faucet. No i did not solder anything near the valve itself. The piece i have on the front of the valve is grey and a large silver O-Not holds it in place. A Black plastic cup type thing is connected to it. Should I go ahead and put in the cartridge even though I am no where near close to finishing the shower! Thanks Guys for all the replys!

Inside the unit after you take off the large silver O there are basically 4 cavities, two inlets on east and west, the part to the shower head up north and the part to the tub faucet down north. You have a little black plastic plug in the cold or hot water cavity, then you put the grey cap on and the silver O back on. This plugs the hot water from getting into the cold water. Otherwise it just flows right on through, that's why it gets hot.

Installing the cartridge will solve the problem, you don't need the knobs or anything.. I didn't have the black plastic plug so I just put the cartridge in to make my wife happy. Otherwise it just screws up your showers you have until the bathroom is done..

1 remove the flimsy protective cup and remove the silver O.
2. Remove the grey cap.
3. Make sure there is a plug filling the east or west cavity inside the rough in valve some valves don't come with them..
4. reinstall the grey cap.
5. reinstall the silver O.

Or
1 remove the flimsy protective cup and remove the silver O.
2. Remove the grey cap.
3. Install the cartridge
4. reinstall the silver O

Last edited by zootjeff; 08-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #14

Shower Remodel

Thanks Jeff!