Shower Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower questions

My first time here. Just over a year now living in a ranch style house built in 1953 & I have done tons of work in it already, living in southern Ontario. ( I renovated 6 houses over the years by myself & made a tidy profit doing so ) After a leak in my basement shower right out to the rec room carpet, I tore up the old shower floor tiles to discover no membrane at all under these, just the adhesive and a layer of cement on top of the original basement cement floor. There was also a hole between the old cement and the newer stuff where I think the water leak came from, looking like it was bypassing the waste pipe? I bought the Kerdi shower drain kit at HD for $99 and a roll of Kerdi. I cleaned out all an old hydralic type cement around the 2" pvc black waste pipe with a chisel & hammer yesterday out about 3" to make a hole so the new flange can sit down in new thinset. My plan is to apply the orange Kerdi over a new coat of sloped thinset, then more thinset on top, then my new tiles. My question is how do I fasten the Kerdi flange in the kit onto the old pipe? Do I need to buy an adapter? Would it be going from the 2" to 3" ? Do I glue new to old? The old waste pipe has no threads in it. Also, there is a lip inside the Kerdi flange that only allows it to go so far down onto the outside edge of the old pipe and then the whole thing sticks up too high. I've been dong home improvements for many years but never plumbing. One plumber has never used Ditra or Kerdi & won't, another is too busy to help me and a third won't do any work on older homes. Can someone help please? Woodlady.

Advertisement

woodlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Shower questions

Woodlady,

Try asking your question here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/....php?forumid=1

Both here and there, a picture of the existing drain line would be helpful.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #3

Shower questions

Thanks Michael - I'll try the John Bridge forum. BTW, the exisiting drain line is buried in cement so all you see is the short piece of waste water pipe sticking out, flush with the original cement. woodlady
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower questions

Is your old pipe really 3"? or 1.5"? either way you'd need an adapter to fit the KerdiDrain onto it. The old pipe is plastic isn't it? what colour is it black or white or grey?

The new drain should be thinset into the existing floor, then the Kerdi run right up to the new Kerdi drain hole, which is about 3" wide I think...thinset all that together. Unmodifed thinset, of course everywhere.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #5

Shower questions

The piece of pipe sticking up measures 2" across, black plastic, level with the cement. I went over to the John Bridge forum. The kind folks there advised me to cut off the height of the pipe to accomodate the Kerdi flange properly. At first I was thinking I'd try a hacksaw blade on the outside but I have a Dremel tool which I think will work the best for this job, cutting inside the pipe. The hacksaw blade won't allow me to get down far enough or get the cut straight enough. I'm trying hard with this shower chore to cut my expenses plus learn more, but I might have to hire a new plumber so there is a warranty on this when completed. Is this the best idea?
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower questions

Yeah that should do....we use a Rotozip tool with a small round blade to cut the existing ABS pipe from the inside, so that way works. Then, you'll have to thinset the flange and glue the stem at the same time but that shouldn't be a major problem.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Shower questions

Do you have a nearby commercial tool rental center that will rent you an internal pipe cutter?

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #8

Shower questions

I have a couple of tool rental places nearby and will get one of these today. Thanks for the photo Michael.

Advertisement

Tags
plumbing