Shower Plumbing Advice? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,638

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Had a brain fart last night.....I was 'finishing' up the plumbing for my shower (2-story addition to our house) and put the vent on the wrong side of the p-trap.

As you can see from this photo....this is a very busy section of the plumbing. I have 4 things coming in here....the 3" pipe is the down feed from the upstairs toilet. The small 1 1/2" pipe under the 3" is the drain from the bar sink. Not installed yet is a drain pipe for the sink next to the shower....

And.....that vert pipe being held by the blue clamp represents my shower drain. And, yes, that short horz pipe 'was' the vent.....(has to be redone)

Anyway....Just how crowded can it get in there before the inspector is going to say "No Joy"?

One of my problems is that the sewer pipe is starting to get pretty close to the sub floor so there is not a lot of room for slope....

Any issues with having the p-trap tucked up close to the shower pan? Otherwise, not a whole lot of room to get my slope to the drain inlet.

Is a clean out required for this short of a run?

And I think I already know the answer to this question...can a clean out be installed reversed so that it goes back towards the source? I'm going to say no since the cap would be a dead leg and let stuff collect there.

On a somewhat positive note....I'm happy with the clean out at the end. Pretty much a straight run down the sewer....just that little kickdown....and then smooth sailing...

Any input and abuse is welcome....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Shower Plumbing Advice?

the vent definitely needs to be redone, but you've figured that out already.

Cleanout is backwards, they have to be setup to clean in the direction of flow.

p-trap can be held up high, sometimes we have to do it on 2nd floor because there's barely room for it.

It's just a high hazard for being hit with nails as the subfloor is put down, especially if it is close to the side of a joist.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
the vent definitely needs to be redone, but you've figured that out already.

Cleanout is backwards, they have to be setup to clean in the direction of flow.

p-trap can be held up high, sometimes we have to do it on 2nd floor because there's barely room for it.

It's just a high hazard for being hit with nails as the subfloor is put down, especially if it is close to the side of a joist.

Thanks Alan....pretty much what I figured.....

On those floor joists....I have been marking on the rim joist where they are....I don't like 'shiners'....much less a hole in the pipe...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Shower Plumbing Advice?

I'd like to see a drawing of the piping layout. That 3" in Pic#1, is that for a bathroom group upstairs? Not too familiar with Cali codes, but around here the inspector would write it up as a "Fail" without having to even get out of his truck.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
I'd like to see a drawing of the piping layout. That 3" in Pic#1, is that for a bathroom group upstairs? Not too familiar with Cali codes, but around here the inspector would write it up as a "Fail" without having to even get out of his truck.
Do you have an explanation to go with that?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Do you have an explanation to go with that?

Yea...I would like to know as well.

My main sewer is 3"....

The toilet upstairs is going to dump (pun intended) into a 3" line. Not sure what else I could make it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Update....got it all finished....I just hope I never have to work on this again.....

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Not sure what code you use there but looking at your last photo I'm seeing 2 violations my inspector wouldn't pass-
No 2" vent on the WC, and the shower vent is wrong. You have a s trap now. Lower the trap so it is a continuation of the branch pipe. Turn the 2" san tee into a 90 and you should be good. (hope thats not too confusing) Vent needs to come off above the center line of the trap arm.
Is that a C.O. behind the p trap? If so its not needed on branch lines less than 5ft long. But when a clean out is required it must be within 20ft of an access.

@ plumber666- Per UPC you can put 3 WC's (or is it 2) on a 3" horizontal drain. More on a 4"
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Not sure what code you use there but looking at your last photo I'm seeing 2 violations my inspector wouldn't pass-
No 2" vent on the WC, and the shower vent is wrong. You have a s trap now. Lower the trap so it is a continuation of the branch pipe. Turn the 2" san tee into a 90 and you should be good. (hope thats not too confusing) Vent needs to come off above the center line of the trap arm.
Is that a C.O. behind the p trap? If so its not needed on branch lines less than 5ft long. But when a clean out is required it must be within 20ft of an access.

@ plumber666- Per UPC you can put 3 WC's (or is it 2) on a 3" horizontal drain. More on a 4"
Thanks for the input....

On that 3" line your seeing.....that is for the upstairs toilet. It will have a vent.

But the second part regargind my p-trap is not clear......

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Shower Plumbing Advice?

You need to run your shower vent similar to this drawing that i grabed from google.
I forgot that you said the 3" went upstairs. It will need a clean out at the base of the stack and the 90 will need to be a long sweep pattern(can't tell if you have one)
Got to get to work, sorry for the short explanation
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Plumbing Advice?-shower-vent.jpg  
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

But that is what I have. The vent is on the downside of the p-trap....all of it is just in a tight space.

I have a clean out about 12' away....see the last pic in the fist post....and yes, the toilet does dump into a sweep.

Does this pic make it any clearer? Or am I still messed up?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

theeplumber.....here is a drawing of what I physically have....I don't see a whole lot of difference...between what your drew and what I have.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,226

Shower Plumbing Advice?

What code is applicable where you live? The IRC and UPC handle venting very differently.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Shower Plumbing Advice?

I will edit your drawing tonight when I can use my p.c. Its a simple fix and will save you fittings too. I believe you use the upc in Cal.
In regards to your test, cap your new work off and add a 10ft riser to the toilet stack. Fill with water. This equals a 5lb test( .43lbs per ft of rise)
Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
JOATMON

Shower Plumbing Advice?

The inspector was just here....

The vent connection point has to be above the p-trap.....otherwise it will siphon the p-trap dry....

I understand my errs now....I'll fix it tonight.....

And, yea....I have to cap it off for the test.....I guess I'll just cap it and leave it like that until I'm all done.

Advertisement