Shower Panel Install Gone Wrong - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Panel Install Gone Wrong

I had a local plumber that was highly reviewed on Home advisor come out yesterday to install my new shower panel. His plan included cutting out the drywall directly behind the shower to put in a access panel. Unfortunately, the wall behind the shower was at a diagonal angle and he couldn't get the needed access.

Therefore, he needed to make the cutout of the shower valve bigger to access the required plumbing.

The dilemma and the reason for my post:

He didn't cover the hole where the previous shower valve was (see picture below). Moreover, this shower panel has a curved top without a cover, so water can get behind it and my fear that eventually moisture will get in the sheet rock. When he was done with the install, I asked him how he closed the hole in the tile and his answer was "you can buy some insulated waterproof foam and spray it in there." He left it up to me to seal the hole.

Additionally, to seal the shower head, he put on the small delta valve from the prior shower head (see picture) and used silicone to seal the small shower head hole.

However, the large shower valve hole is still unsealed. My question is as follows: Do I use a product like DAP Kwik Foam or is there other alternative solutions to seal the hole? I am concerned of future moisture, water or mold issues if the hole is left unsealed. I am uploading pictures to show the full scope of what I am writing about. Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed as I am not sure what to do in this matter. Furthermore, I am scared to contact another plumber after my experience with a highly rated/reviewed plumber.

In hindsight, I should have not let him off the hook by allowing him to put the burden on me since i hired him to complete the work. Lesson learned.

Previous Shower head and valve: Delta Shower head and valve
New Shower Panel: Pulse Santa Cruz

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]

[/IMG]
[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Advertisement

Bushido_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

You hired him to do plumbing, not tilework. The two jobs don't get done by the same contractor. "Covering the hole" there requires that you replace the tile, not fill it full of anything. Also you put the binders on him for the job by choosing a product that wasn't really suited to the jobsite conditions without a more complete renovation. He did the job pretty decently within those constraints. Other than the kinked supply line, there's not much there that can be changed without significant alteration or renovation. Those "retrofit" panels rarely work well as actual retrofits. Shower plumbing is a lot more complicated than just changing out a kitchen sink faucet. If I were him, I probably would have refused the job entirely.

If you want to run a bead of silicone around the panel as insurance, that's probably not a bad idea. But it comes down to planning for more extensive changes in the future if you want to get something that really works without compromises.

Advertisement

jmon (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,362

I agree with live-oak. For a quick solution just put a bead of clear silicon around panel and shower head, keep an eye on it until you're ready to retile and plumb it properly. IMO, replace that kinked hose with a new one while your at it. Should be outside not buried inside as already mentioned. It could be a potential problem down the road. Just a thought. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 11-02-2013 at 09:42 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

I have to disagree with the two prior post.
Your so called "plumber " is a HACK !!!!

Those flex supply lines are absolutely against code.

If you doubt me call the local building department and have it inspected.

In my area that job should have had a permit and inspection.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DidIDoThat For This Useful Post:
Peppe1019 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #5

Thanks Live_Oak. That's exactly the info I needed. I have contacted multiple tile contractors to see if they can seal the openings. Now, I have to see if the builder left extra tiles in the attic. Hopefully, I can have the tile work done soon so the wife can use the shower again.

By the way, had I been informed of the additional tile work that was needed I would have planned accordingly and maybe not had the panel installed. Additionally, when the plumber came out to the house after I had sent him pictures of what the job required, he informed me that he had done many shower panel installs and it was fairly simple process. I informed him that if it was an issue, I could continue to live with the current shower setup and was not married to the Pulse shower panel and could return it to Lowes. He said it would be fine.

Since I have never had this kind of work done before I was under the impression they would seal any openings. This was my mistake for not asking more questions when he came out and waiting for after the install was done.

Given the circumstances, you are correct in that he did do his job...I just wished he would have communicated the tile work portion. In other words, told me that there was additional work that was required. Regardless, whats done is done, I am just glad you were able to point me in the right direction. Thank You!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bushido_Ben For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

@DidIDoThat: Thanks for the reply.

I contacted the shower panel manufacturer and they told me that there should be stub-outs that protrude out of the tile by an inch or so just in case there are future leaks.

After I have the tile guys come out and take a look to see if they can do the job, I will have a plumber come out and install the required stub outs (per the instruction manual I gave the plumber who installed the panel) and then tile around it. I believe the Flex supply lines are part of the shower panel and per manufacturer should never be inside the wall but instead outside connected to stub outs.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bushido_Ben For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-03-2013), jmon (11-03-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido_Ben View Post

I contacted the shower panel manufacturer and they told me that there should be stub-outs that protrude out of the tile by an inch or so just in case there are future leaks.

After I have the tile guys come out and take a look to see if they can do the job, I will have a plumber come out and install the required stub outs (per the instruction manual I gave the plumber who installed the panel) and then tile around it. I believe the Flex supply lines are part of the shower panel and per manufacturer should never be inside the wall but instead outside connected to stub outs.

Thanks again!
Glad you got it all sorted out Bushido_Ben. Like you said, what's done is done and best to make the appropriate corrections and move forward. You'll know better next time. Thanks for sharing your experience with the forum.

Last edited by jmon; 11-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
custom user

Rewards Points: 150

Home Advisor is about as reliable as Angie's list. You can take the reviews with a grain of salt. The difference is that the contractor pays for every lead sent to them. These fees really add up and a guy might low ball just to get the job to pay his Home Advisor fees. I'm skeptical that he was actually a plumber, he probably just selected plumbing as one of his services and his was one of the contacts sent to you.

It was minimal work but customers also play a role by pretending to not know things. Surely you had to realize tile work was going to be needed? Would you really want a plumber doing your tile work? Or a tile man doing the plumbing?
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidIDoThat View Post

I agree with the above... What a friggin hack job. You absolutely cannot bury flex hose lines behind walls. THEY FAIL!!!
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido_Ben View Post
so water can get behind it and my fear that eventually moisture will get in the sheet rock.
Drywall behind the shower is probably not a good idea. If this is the case you will definitely have issues.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,562

we have installed a couple of them.....that is a make shift install..needs to be redone according to manufactures specs.....no less...ben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-03-2013), Peppe1019 (11-03-2013)

Tags
shower , shower fixture , shower panel