Shower Pan Option? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shower pan option?

OK gang I am not a faint hearted DIYer but I do have a question about the need to build a shower pan. I am finishing a massive 2000 sq ft basement and of course can't see doing that without adding a bathroom... I want to install a 40inX 72in shower. There is no plumbing in place at this time so it will require opening up the floor and installing a new drain etc. My question is simply: Can I open more of the of the concrete than is needed (entire shower floor area) for the simple purpose of sloping the slab rather than building a subfloor and sloping it with "mud"? Why not just slope the actual basement floor and apply the membrane to it? It seems this would save a bit of head room as well???
I am planning on locating the drain in the center of the shower so the over all slope will be pretty slight, approx 1.0-1.25 inchs in all. I also want to avoid building a curb.

Becasue this will be the 5th bathroom in combination with its basement location I believe this to be a rarely used function.

Sorry no pictures yet. Your thoughts please- THANKS!

Advertisement

Last edited by Slick Will; 12-22-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammer
Slick Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 33

shower pan option?

That doesn't seem like a bad idea, as long as you still have enough room for the trap and drain slope over to the main stack.
Any idea how deep your main drain is below the basement floor?

Advertisement

edro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

shower pan option?

sorry no info on the depth of the main drain yet, most likely won't know for sure until after the floor is broken.

I want to put a diagram up of the project but I don't have any software to create it any ideas?
Slick Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

shower pan option?

You could try google's sketch-up. My wife downloaded a free version and loves messing around with it.

As for the rarely used drains in soon to be basement bathroom, I'd suggest that you make sure that trap primers get installed while the concrete floor is open. Their function is to periodically squirt water into the P trap that it doesn't dry out and thus allow sewer gas into the house. Here's a link to Wiki for an explanation and simple solution, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_primer
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

shower pan option?

Trap primer on a shower? Lots cheaper to just turn the shower on for 5 seconds once a month. Plus you're working the shower valve, which should be done regularly anyway to keep the resiliency of the washers or cartridge.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

shower pan option?

That'll work too. My thinking behind the trap primer suggestion is due to the fact that most home owners do not to preventative maintenance.

Advertisement

Last edited by VIPlumber; 12-31-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Not worth it.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement bathroom , shower , shower pan , shower pan assembly