DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Shower Pan Liner Problem

22K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Thomas 
#1 · (Edited)
Shower Drain Install Problem w/ Shower Liner

Ok, I know that every shower should have a shower pan liner installed. However, this is my problem:

I have a shower in a basement that was roughed out and never completed about 15-20 years ago by my Father. It was built on a concrete slab as it is on the basement level. The shower has a sloped mortar/concrete base and this is where the shower was stopped.

The problem with installing a liner is that it would be a very difficult job to install the necassary shower drain/flange needed for a shower liner. The drain installed is an iron pipe that comes up flush to the mortar bed with a shower drain attached to the top. So to install the drain flange, I would have to cut off a few inches of the iron pipe and cut out some of the concrete around the pipe to make room for the flange.

Therefore, is it worth all the effort to install the flange/liner? Would I just have to use a concrete saw? Is there a drill bit made that I could cut the iron pipe out from the inside of the pipe?

#5 ·
Sub floor Iron Pipe

I will post a picture when I get home.

I will try to explain a little clearer. I am not installing a pre-fromed shower pan, but want to install a vinyl membrane liner.

Ok, so, in a typical drain set up the sub-floor pipe would be around 2"-3" below the floor as the bottom flange of the shower drain is 2"-3". So the iron pipe should be cut off about 2" below the shower floor. However, the iron pipe is flush with the shower floor, so if connected the proper shower drain (that would allow for a shower liner), the actual drain would be 2"-3" above the shower floor.

If the subfloor was plywood and the pipe was PVC it would be easy to cut the floor and pipe. But the subfloor is concrete and the pipe is iron.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hotrod,

I had the same problem. I researched everywhere but could not find a solution. Unfortunatly the connection between your membrain and pipe has to be sealed. I looked everywhere but no one sales such a connecting fitting. The only real solution is to chip out the drain, cut the cast iron and install a plastic pipe directly onto the cast iron. I had a plumber friend do this in about 20 minutes. You don't need a saw, just a small jackhammer. You will be much happier with the connection and it will fit better when you put down your preslope, membrain liner and final slope. I hope that I have been of some help and I know that I have missed a lot of details.

#8 ·
Hotrod,

The only real solution is to chip out the drain, cut the cast iron and install a plastic pipe directly onto the cast iron. I had a plumber friend do this in about 20 minutes. You don't need a saw, just a small jackhammer.

Jon,

How did you cut the cast iron? You are not saying you used a jackhammer to cut out the iron pipe, are you? I assume that you used the jackhammer to cut out a big enough hole around the pipe to cut it?

Rich

#10 ·
Just seconding the comment about the necessity to bite the bullet and provide a correct connection to the liner, at home inspections I find some real nightmares resulting from the fact that (for example) an incorrectly detailed basement shower is leaking water under a slab where it travels atop the vapor barrier and wells up somewhere it can wick up into the bottom plate of a wall or into wood floor coverings installed on top of the slab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.