Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Ok, I know that every shower should have a shower pan liner installed. However, this is my problem:

I have a shower in a basement that was roughed out and never completed about 15-20 years ago by my Father. It was built on a concrete slab as it is on the basement level. The shower has a sloped mortar/concrete base and this is where the shower was stopped.

The problem with installing a liner is that it would be a very difficult job to install the necassary shower drain/flange needed for a shower liner. The drain installed is an iron pipe that comes up flush to the mortar bed with a shower drain attached to the top. So to install the drain flange, I would have to cut off a few inches of the iron pipe and cut out some of the concrete around the pipe to make room for the flange.

Therefore, is it worth all the effort to install the flange/liner? Would I just have to use a concrete saw? Is there a drill bit made that I could cut the iron pipe out from the inside of the pipe?

Last edited by Hottrod33; 01-27-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: More appropriate title
Hottrod33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #2

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Can you post a picture?

Are you talking about installing a preformed shower base or installing a shower pan/liner and grouting over it in preparation for tile work?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Not sure about your exact situation but look into this:

http://www.schluter.com/8_2_kerdi_drain.aspx

If you already have a sloped based, Kerdi can be your answer. The Kerdi drain is pretty amazing too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Although Angus beat me to it, Kerdi would be the best way for you to solve this problem without demolishing anything or needing a different drain. It isn't cheap, but it works and it is easy.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #5

Shower Pan Liner Problem

I will post a picture when I get home.

I will try to explain a little clearer. I am not installing a pre-fromed shower pan, but want to install a vinyl membrane liner.

Ok, so, in a typical drain set up the sub-floor pipe would be around 2"-3" below the floor as the bottom flange of the shower drain is 2"-3". So the iron pipe should be cut off about 2" below the shower floor. However, the iron pipe is flush with the shower floor, so if connected the proper shower drain (that would allow for a shower liner), the actual drain would be 2"-3" above the shower floor.

If the subfloor was plywood and the pipe was PVC it would be easy to cut the floor and pipe. But the subfloor is concrete and the pipe is iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Pan Liner Problem-kerdidrain2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #6

Shower Pan Liner Problem

This is the picture of the current pipe and drain configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Pan Liner Problem-brown-mountain.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Hotrod,

I had the same problem. I researched everywhere but could not find a solution. Unfortunatly the connection between your membrain and pipe has to be sealed. I looked everywhere but no one sales such a connecting fitting. The only real solution is to chip out the drain, cut the cast iron and install a plastic pipe directly onto the cast iron. I had a plumber friend do this in about 20 minutes. You don't need a saw, just a small jackhammer. You will be much happier with the connection and it will fit better when you put down your preslope, membrain liner and final slope. I hope that I have been of some help and I know that I have missed a lot of details.
jon#391u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #8

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon#391u View Post
Hotrod,

The only real solution is to chip out the drain, cut the cast iron and install a plastic pipe directly onto the cast iron. I had a plumber friend do this in about 20 minutes. You don't need a saw, just a small jackhammer.

Jon,

How did you cut the cast iron? You are not saying you used a jackhammer to cut out the iron pipe, are you? I assume that you used the jackhammer to cut out a big enough hole around the pipe to cut it?

Rich
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Yes, I jackhammered around the pipe then cut it with a sawzall and metal blade. You will cut the pipe right after the p trap. Then install a complete p trap and shower drain. You can buy these at all plumbing stores.
jon#391u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Chicago, IL

Shower Pan Liner Problem

Just seconding the comment about the necessity to bite the bullet and provide a correct connection to the liner, at home inspections I find some real nightmares resulting from the fact that (for example) an incorrectly detailed basement shower is leaking water under a slab where it travels atop the vapor barrier and wells up somewhere it can wick up into the bottom plate of a wall or into wood floor coverings installed on top of the slab.

Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower pan liner