Shower Liner On Basement Concrete. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Shower liner on basement concrete.

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about which order to build my basement shower pan.

It's going in the basement.

I've poured the curb already.

Question is. Next. Do I lay the rubber liner 1st then put the sloping mortar in? Or do I put the mortar directly on the cement floor then put the liner on top of it?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Henry

Attached Thumbnails
Shower liner on basement concrete.-image-3645105277.jpg   Shower liner on basement concrete.-image-2841164947.jpg  

Advertisement

Siubeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This should be a start---ask questions after reading it---

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Should have done some research BEFORE you poured your curb. The liner gets cast inside the curb.

There are other ways to do it but you will have to change liners and methods now.

Oh-Mike can point you to a How-To somewhere, he's good at that.

If you have any questions you can't get answered here, or you need serious personal assistance, email me. Be glad to help.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
Should have done some research BEFORE you poured your curb. The liner gets cast inside the curb.

There are other ways to do it but you will have to change liners and methods now.

Oh-Mike can point you to a How-To somewhere, he's good at that.

If you have any questions you can't get answered here, or you need serious personal assistance, email me. Be glad to help.
Oh, i got it figured. The liner is going ontop of the cement curb and preslope. Then i'm putting lathing ontop of the curb and mortar everywhere. Then tile.
Siubeer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Siubeer For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Oh, i got it figured. The liner is going ontop of the cement curb and preslope. Then i'm putting lathing ontop of the curb and mortar everywhere. Then tile.
Well okay if you want to continue to do things the hard way, go right ahead.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
www.No-Curb.com

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siubeer View Post
Good on you for doing a pre-slope under your liner.

How old is that slab? Is it crack free? If the slab is old, cured and in good condition you can use a product from Mapei called Mapecem Pre-Mix fast Setting Screed Mortar to prepare your pre-slope. It can go from 1/4" to 4" in thickness and need a slurry coat made from the same Pre-Mix and Planicrete AC. This layer will set up in under four hours and you can cover with the liner the next day (14 hours later).

Noble company has a preslope that installs in under five minutes and you might consider this if you don't want to make one from concrete.

Make sure you flood test your shower. It's the only way you will know it functions properly.

After you pull the plug make sure that all the water drains. Protect your weep holes from plugging and set in your tile prep layer. Over a liner it will need to be from 1 3/8" to 2" thick, depending on what mortar you select.

You can at this stage use a NobleFlex Flashing tool (1 1/2" ) version and go with a bonded membrane called Noble Seal TS, or Dal Seal TS, or Noble Deck, or Noble CIS. This will skip one of the mortar layers and speed things up.

Good luck!

JW

Advertisement