Shower Leak..hot Water Tank Leak...HELP!!! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shower leak..hot water tank leak...HELP!!!

Alright, so first off thanks for the help.

So in the shower this morning as I went to get out, the hot water would not turn off, turned and turned and it will only slow. So google, and it says, washer, I think, woot woot! easy, right.
So I take off the shower head after shutting off water at hot water tank( as there is no access to the shut off directly at the shower, not in wall panel, or below the shower, downstairs).
So first off, no washer in shower head? not in either of the shower heads upstairs with the same fixtures, tried to swap the shower heads praying its that easy...
no such luck.
now there is a leak at the hot water tank, from the top of it at the tap leading off of the tank. the cold water intake.

so now what, anyone have any suggestions? is it the pressure in the hw tank?

thanks much!
Drie

Advertisement

Last edited by Drie; 06-29-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Drie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Whoa!
The washer (if you have that type of shower faucet controls) will be on the end of the hot water handle stem, not in the showerhead.
You will have to turn off the main water shut off to your home to turn off both the hot and cold. Turning off the cold water supply to your water heater only turns off the hot water side.
What type of shower faucet control do you have? Dual handle or single handle? Brand name?
What type of cold water shut-off valve do you have on the water heater? Gate valve or ball valve?
We need more infor before we can help you repair the two problems.
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
Whoa!
The washer (if you have that type of shower faucet controls) will be on the end of the hot water handle stem, not in the showerhead.
You will have to turn off the main water shut off to your home to turn off both the hot and cold. Turning off the cold water supply to your water heater only turns off the hot water side.
What type of shower faucet control do you have? Dual handle or single handle? Brand name?
What type of cold water shut-off valve do you have on the water heater? Gate valve or ball valve?
We need more infor before we can help you repair the two problems.
Mike

Thanks Mike!
- so the faucets are dual ones, (stand up shower) moen. plastic crystal-ish handles.

- the shower head itself (I dont see the brand on it) is a standard ball joint cone shaped, with a flow restictor;3 parts with a nipple.

-the hotwater tank is a Jetglas "energy saver"
model #M5OS5D513
it has a gate valve.
Thanks again.
-Drie
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

I'd have to say the the hot water handle is most likely stripped or possibly the set screw (usally found on bottom the handle) needs tightened. Shower head has nothing to do with the problem forget about it!! As for the leaking hot water tank.. if the leak is tiny and not bothersome to anything around it sometimes they tend to corrode shut after a few days if this is not an option you will have to turn the supply water to the house off. You will have to take the hot water nipple out of the tank and apply teflon tape or a teflon "dope" (found in any hardware store) to the threads. Then reinstall and the leak problem will be solved.
pipefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

To repair hot water leak in shower:
Take the point of a knife or an icepick to pop out the little center plastic cap in the middle of the handle to expose the screw that holds the handle on. Remove the handle. If it is stripped, you can get inexpensive plastic handle sets to replace them both easily. You don't even have to turn the water off just to change the handles.
If it is not a stripped handle, it may be the stem or the washer, either of which can be replaced:
Turn the house main shut-off valve off or turn the brass rectangular knob on your meter with an adjustable wrench to turn the meter off.
Use an adjustable wrench to unscrew the valve stem (counter-clockwise). Take it to any hardware store to get a new washer (and probably the little brass screw that holds the washer on) to match, or a new valve stem. This should take care of the shower leak problem.
To reparr the gate valve on the water heater cold water supply.
First, try snugging up the valve stem cap under the handle. Sometimes that just needs to be tightened down on worn packing or the packing itself may need replacing (with main water off, loosen cap and wrap new packing string around the valve stem).
As pipefitter said, the showerhead has nothing to do with your problems.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 06-30-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice Pipe fitter and Mike, I will let you guys know how my adventures in plumbing go.
have a good one!
Drie
Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #7

Question

WOOT WOOT!
fixed the hot water tank!! thanks boyses!! teflon tape to the rescue!

Now , tap-wards bound. Pulled off the tap and removed stem. The washer on the bottom of the cartridge was shot. put on the new washer, and I cant push the cartridge back on. Should I force it or should I take off the threaded brass pipe? -it looks like the cartridge needs to go over a ridge inside the pipe I hesitate to force it and break something further.
can I just whack it with a pipe wrench?
thanks again for all the help guys!

Advertisement