Shower Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
mop

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Shower Leak

Hello. Water is leaking into the wall and subfloor around my shower. I'm fairly ignorant of how showers are built but I don't think this is by design.

It first manifested as some water damage on the drywall that's adjacent to the shower tile. Then a damp spot on the ceiling of the room below.

I suspect some combination of bad grout and bad shower pan. I've taken pictures to document it, as I can't do the situation justice with the keyboard:
http://tinyurl.com/obfqg8

My plan is to perform a leak test with a balloon in the drain tomorrow, filling the shower only up an inch or two. Hopefully this will help isolate the problem...?

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance in diagnosing this, as my skills in home repair are rather... lacking.

Advertisement

mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Shower Leak

Sounds like you are going to be doing a shower remodel. Probably a bad liner, no liner, or improper wall construction.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Shower Leak

judging from the pictures it looks to me like the leak is above the floor level so that might elimate a drain or liner leak. Try this. Have someone take a shower preferably some one you know very well . and see if water is leaking thru the grout or around the shower valve trim. It may be as simple as caulking around the trim of the shower valve. If you don't have someone there to take a shower try throwing some water around the shower valve then check to see if it is getting wet on the other side of the wall. I have been looking at the pictures again It looks to me like grout and broken tile might be a problem I am not a tile expert so i might suggest going to floor and tile diy forum and post your question in there.

Last edited by al's sewer; 05-24-2009 at 10:40 AM.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
mop

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Leak

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to cross-post this in the tile forum.

I set about performing a leak test today to see if it would help isolate the problem. I hadn't expected much, as this leak has been quite slow in manifesting. 15 minutes after starting the test it was raining in the dining room.

I added more pictures with some relevant comments at the same place, starting with picture #23:

Is it possible that the shower pan is still 'good', or 'sufficient'? Is it wasted effort to regrout the shower and seal it at this point?
mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Shower Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mop View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will try to cross-post this in the tile forum.

I set about performing a leak test today to see if it would help isolate the problem. I hadn't expected much, as this leak has been quite slow in manifesting. 15 minutes after starting the test it was raining in the dining room.

I added more pictures with some relevant comments at the same place, starting with picture #23:

Is it possible that the shower pan is still 'good', or 'sufficient'? Is it wasted effort to regrout the shower and seal it at this point?
looks to me like you are destroying the house. why not call in the professionals to check it out might be cheaper in the long run.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Oldie but Newbie

Rewards Points: 75

Shower Leak

It looks to me like you're going to have to tear out the floor and (at least) the lower shower walls and rebuild the pan. Good luck. A professional opinion probably wouldn't hurt.

Advertisement

LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote