Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #1

Share |

Shower leak

After 2 1/2 years of going from a shower stall with an acrylic base to a shower stall with tile floors, my neighbor downstairs noticed a stain along the edge of her walls.

One opinion is that I have to regrout/reseal/recaulk. Another opinion is the shower pan lining was installed improperly, or not installed at all. I would like to get opinions of unbiased proffesionals who are not out to profit from fixing this issue, so I thought I'd see if I can answers from this forum. Thanks in advance.

hgtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
DIY staff

Shower leak

Grout and caulk are not waterproof----Have you checked for the most common causes of water around a shower?

Leaking shower head arm

Water reaching floor past door or curtain

Faulty mixer valve or cover

You did not save picture of the original install of the pan and walls did you?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

Shower leak

can you get us some good pictures so we have an idea of what were dealing with????
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #4

Shower leak

"Here, let me adjust my x-ray goggles and let's take a look..."

Sorry but there's no such thing as being able to see inside a showerstall, to find leaks. Perhaps the closest we have is an IR camera, but that may only work in certain circumstances. Nope. It's detective work alright with no shortcuts to the correct answer(s). See, it could be (a) from the water supply side, hot or cold OR (b) from the drain OR (c) a leak from the walls from slow, incidental water impact OR (d) from the floor AND - get this - any or all of them in any combination! Rarely do you see all four, but I have seen three.

Now given that you don't really see what's going on behind the walls, you have to start with a process of elimination and, I'll tell you my friend, sometimes the answer is "to rip it down and start anew"; many people don't like that option but it's far surer and faster...

But that process of elimination take time which normally gets charged back to the owner of the problem; we don't 'profit' from it apart from charging a trip fee of $100 to cover the costs of sending someone knowledgeable out in a van. And there's no real guarantee that you'll like the answers either. Sometimes it's just an educated guess.

That's what you've already got; it could be a grout/seal/caulk job, it could be the pan or it's installation, but I'll add to that and suggest it might be from all the things I just mentioned: supply-side, drain-side, walls or floor. I offer that for free, as there's nothing in it for me. But talk is cheap isn't it?

You'll need more that this forum to get to the bottom of your problem - so be prepared to pay for it. Hopefully, you're a better evaluator of tradesmen than you are of shower leak problems.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote