Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

shower knob position

I am having a problem with the setting on my shower knob. i have not used this shower for over a year cause im not sure how to fix my problem without having a plumber come in. i have finally broke down and am submitting this thread in hopes that you guys can help me out.

the picture that i am attaching to this thread is a picture of my shower knob without the knob attached. in the center of the circle is where the knob goes on and gets screwed to. on the outside of the center you will see two openings that have a set screw on the left and on the right. at one point i took the handle off and started messing with those screws, turning them clock wise and counter clock wise. i dont recall what i was trying to acheive by doing this but now that i have turned those screws over and over and over again in each direction, i have somehow changed the location of the main knob to turn the water off. now that off is in the location of the knob pointing to the floor, i have lost all hot water. when i turn the main knob to where hot used to be, te hot water doesnt work. the water just turns off. but if i turn the knob to the cold side, that is perfectly fine.

somehow, with me turning those little screws, i have changed the way the water runs. i have again tried to turn these counter clock wise as well as clockwise to try and get these back to there normal position so i can use this shower once again, but no luck.

how do i fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
shower knob position-shower.jpg  

reds_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

shower knob position

Those set screws are simply "STOPS" (shut off valves for your shower if you need to pull the cartridge out)

They have no bearing what-so-ever on the orientation of the handle.

So to clarify, are you getting hot and cold out of the valve at all?

It sounds like your handle orientation is just screwed up.

leave the stops alone. They should be fully on. If not, you need to turn your cartridge handle to the position of either full hot or full cold, and then turn the stops until water comes out at that position.

Now turn the cartridge stem with a crescent wrench until the water shuts off.

Now replace valve trim and handle in the proper orientation.
That looks like a moen posi temp valve, so it should be fairly simple.

Last edited by Alan; 03-01-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #3

shower knob position

ahhhh, finally, an answer. thank you alan!!!

so if i put the handle on and turn it to the hot position and nothing comes out, does it matter which direction i turn the set screws? left or right? i should keep turning till water flows, correct? if water starts ouring out, how do i know i have maximized the water pressure allowed? if i were to keep turning, will it eventually turn off again?

also, i didnt try this but if i cant turn my knob to the hot water side, what would cause this? im going off memory but i dont think i can turn it to the left. its like theres a block now..........................is this possible that the set screws would effect this?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Doing it myself

shower knob position

I don't think it matters which way you turn them. If they're like any other screwdriver stops they turn 360 degrees.

If it's completely off right now, 90 degrees should be completely on.

If you're having trouble turning the handle on the valve, it might be a cartridge issue. The stops have no bearing on how far the cartridge moves.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

shower knob position

thanks again alan..............

ok after doing what you mentioned.

the hot side is now completely off, i have turned the screws and it will not come on.

on the cold side, i turned that and every 90 degrees, its on/off. that is working fine.

so what is this "cartridge", is that what your calling the whole unit?

whats involved in replacing it?, if thatis indeed the issue?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Doing it myself

shower knob position

The cartridge is in the center of the valve assembly. The brass stem you see sticking out is part of it. Turn off the stops on the valve assembly before pulling the cartridge or turn off water to your house to be safe.

In order to replace that cartridge there is a retainer clip on top of it keeping it from blowing out which you can remove with needle nose pliers.

After that you just have to grab a hold of the stem and pull it out usually with channel locks. Sometimes you need a cartridge puller if it's really stuck. You do have to pull pretty hard though.

Once you get it out, shake it. If you hear a rattle, it should be in good working shape. If not, the pressure balancing spool is hung up. Sometimes soaking the cartridge in vinegar will fix that, or you can buy a brand new one for about 20 bucks. If you feel like waiting call 1800buymoen and get a free one in the mail.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

shower knob position

ok, im listening. whats this 1800buymoen. i realize its the moen phone number but how are you getting this free?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Doing it myself

shower knob position

You just have to call them and tell them your cartridge crapped out and they send you a new one.