Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Shower hot water question

i've got a question regarding hot water in a shower. my hot water seems to pulse while in the shower - i can feel it pulsing between the hot and luke warm water. the hot water in the sink is just fine and is probably too hot. the water heater is brand new and is currently sitting around the C setting (A, B, C, wicked hot are the settings.) in order to get a marginally decent temperature in the shower the valve is turned all the way up, anything less and it goes cold really fast. it is a single handle delta (i think) system and is several years old at best, 10-15 at worst.

from what i can tell by poking around in the plumbing forum my options are the valve itself is bad, there is a temperature regulator of some variety on the valve that is bad / stuck / turned way down, or there is crap in the pipes and it is keeping the hot from making it all the way. is there anything else i should look for before i outright try to replace the valve?

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

If you undo the lever assembly most of them have a big ball the mixing is done in. check the ring washers to be certain some of a worn washer isn't flapping in there.(its happened) it will give you a chance to either clean it out or see what a piece of garbage this kind of system is!LOL They are small orifices that could be compromised easily, dont forget to check the cold water side it could be the cold water causing the hot water fluctuation. then after you do all that go and get a dual valve mixer those things are junk!

mr makita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #3

turns out the temp regulator was set pretty low. adjusted that and its now great!
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote