Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Shower head replacement

So my school decided to replace our good shower head with a "green" shower head. I'm all for going green, but now taking a shower is not even enjoyable. I would have rathered they changed the lights or something.

Anyway, we were thinking of buying our own new shower head, but we're not sure if we'll be able to install it without doing some major handy work (which we won't risk since its an on-campus apartment)

Can anyone offer any help on this matter? I would really appreciate it, I'm posting pictures of our current one now.

Thanks,

Zach
Attached Thumbnails
Shower head replacement-01232010496.jpg   Shower head replacement-01232010495.jpg  

zachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2

Shower head replacement

anyone? please...

Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Shower head replacement

On Campus Apt you are usually not allowed to change anything like this
Check with Apt Mgr 1st
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #4

Shower head replacement

I mean probably not, but for what we have to pay its absurd the water pressure that we have to deal with...like i said, I'm all for going green, they can give us energy efficient light bulbs and whatnot, and even lessen our water pressure to an extent, but its pretty terrible as it is...

I think we can remove a piece inside the current head also to make it better pressure, but im not 100% sure...and especially for my 6 foot 3 375 lb roomie, the water pressure barely covers 1/100th of his body...and since we all have work in the morning, this terrible water pressure forces us to take longer showers since it's impossible to get clean as fast as you normally would...

Basically, we really need to fix this.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Remodeler

Shower head replacement

The shower head itself literally screws off the arm coming out of the wall and the new one screws on - it's that simple. When you do unscrew the old showerhead (with a wrench or channel lock pliers), you'll have to use another pair of plier to hold back the arm extending out of the wall so that doesn't twist along with the showerhead. When you do put pliers on the arm coming out of the wall, don't put the pliers directly on the surface of the arm because they will scratch it up. First wrap a towel around the arm, and then use the pliers to clamp on over the towel. Save the old showerhead, and then when you leave the place, put it back on before you go.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Shower head replacement

thats exactly how i would do what dave said you shoudnt and we know you wont i hate weak showers and would never dream of changing that
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #7

Shower head replacement

ok thanks a lot for the help i appreciate it
Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Shower head replacement

I'm all for going "Green", and am all for obeying rules if they apply to everyone equally. That said- -I'm also for a darn good shower when I want one! I'll not discredit what Dave said, checking with the apartment manager first as to a solution is the firs thing I would do. Then- -after I was told "there is nothing we can do about this situation", I would just say "Thank You" and walk away. Then- -I would remove the shower head per the instructions given. Look into the back of the shower head to see if there is a little yellow/green/blue, or some color plastic piece which is the "water volume reducer", and use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove it. Some pull out, some screw in. IF you can get it out, replace the shower head and see if this isn't better. I didn't tell you that! David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #9

Shower head replacement

Thanks a lot! Yea we did ask them, and they said "it is what it is and youre going to have to deal with it". I removed some black plastic ring from the current shower head and I think it helped the pressure a little, but barely noticeable. Maybe once we put a new one in it will make a big difference. Our current one is 2.5 gallons a minute, and its pretty awful
Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #10

Shower head replacement

I have rentel units, and will not put in low flow shower heards because I don't want the tenants calling about something being wrong with the shower - or changing and fooling it themselves, which they will surely do.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

Shower head replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have rentel units, and will not put in low flow shower heards because I don't want the tenants calling about something being wrong with the shower - or changing and fooling it themselves, which they will surely do.
Yea you're smart. There are plenty of other ways to go green. We end up taking longer showers just cuz it's so hard to get your whole body wet, not sure if that wastes more or not though.

Anyway, I just put in the new one, I think it's good so far, we'll have to see