Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

Shower head piping

Hi,

I'm working on installing my shower head piping and there's an interesting issue. I'd like to put a recessed shower "box" right where the pipe for the shower head would run directly up from the valve. So I figured I had to create some 90degree bends. Attached is what I did so far and I included pics with a measuring tape.

So my question is, is there a rule of thumb for distance of pipe before installing a 90degree elbow? I know the goal is to minimize the number of bends. However, in this case, I don't have many options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Shower head piping-imag1240.jpg   Shower head piping-imag1244.jpg   Shower head piping-imag1245.jpg   Shower head piping-imag1246.jpg   Shower head piping-imag1247.jpg  

netdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

Shower head piping

No idea why you all those 90's. Should have been straight up and a drop leg elbow.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

Shower head piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No idea why you all those 90's. Should have been straight up and a drop leg elbow.
I'd like to install a recessed shower "box" right in front. The box blocks the pipe so I had to go around the box, thus the 90degree fittings.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Shower head piping

I would have gone with 45's myself, of course it would reduce how much of an area you can recess though. Also, make sure you put it nice and tight, I hate when shower heads and taps feel all loose, and once the shower is in place there is no way to go back and fix it. My shower is like that, was done by a pro too... wish I had noticed before he put the shower in.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Shower head piping

Thats gonna be a noise maker should have used 45s like RED said.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #6

Shower head piping

I call them Nicho's here in Albuquerque. I was just looking at all that free space behind the shower wall, was wondering if maybe you were going to build a entrance to a cave behind a waterfall

There is no problem with running the elbows up to the shower head, sometimes we run the piping up and over into the ceiling and have it come down from the ceiling and not out from the wall.

I like to use the new prefabbed plastic nicho boxes when I can, just saves hours of work, considered building from scratch.
When I have that much free room to work with, I prefer to build my own nicho with my dimensions, tell the plumber to just work around it.
The store bought are great but typically for a 2x4 or 2x6 wall, while a 8" nicho is really nice.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Shower head piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
I call them Nicho's here in Albuquerque. I was just looking at all that free space behind the shower wall, was wondering if maybe you were going to build a entrance to a cave behind a waterfall

There is no problem with running the elbows up to the shower head, sometimes we run the piping up and over into the ceiling and have it come down from the ceiling and not out from the wall.

I like to use the new prefabbed plastic nicho boxes when I can, just saves hours of work, considered building from scratch.
When I have that much free room to work with, I prefer to build my own nicho with my dimensions, tell the plumber to just work around it.
The store bought are great but typically for a 2x4 or 2x6 wall, while a 8" nicho is really nice.
Awesome... Thanks.

My nicho actually is plastic. It's pre-fabbed and you just tile over it. It's called redi-tile or something.

As for the 90's, yeah, there's a lot of them. I was thinking 45's, but had a bunch of 90's in my bag and figured I probably wouldn't notice the water pressure loss using 90's.

Any last thoughts before I solder this bad boy on? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
STAFF

Shower head piping

I have a few 90s in my shower and if there is noise I can't hear it, come to think of it I don't hear much of anything.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
framer52 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

Shower head piping

If your building with tile make real sure you water proof your box before you tile....

http://www.laticrete.com/contractors...rproofing.aspx
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Shower head piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
If your building with tile make real sure you water proof your box before you tile....

http://www.laticrete.com/contractors...rproofing.aspx
Thanks. I'll be building using a pre-fabricated box from redi-tile. It's plastic. I plan to install it, then install hardibacker, then tape up and use redguard around the edges to ensure it's fully sealed.