Shower Handle Fell Off And Now No Hot Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Shower handle fell off and now no hot water

My shower is one of those that has the single handle controls, and the knob has been falling off since I got the house this August. Last night after the kids had their bath, it fell off again and some plastic part came out too. This morning it was working differently. Usually I turn it all the way up then back it off just a little to get the right temperature, but it didn't have any stop so it just turned up then kept going until it turned off. So I tried to run it anyway, let it warm up but when I came back it was all cold.

I've done a complete install of a shower where no bathroom had previously existed, and I can probably figure it out... I just want to see if anyone can walk me through this and tell me what I need to buy. I'm divorced now and I have the kids this weekend, so if I can get everything I need in one trip to a big box store, that's preferable to the multiple trips it would take if I have to figure it out on the fly.

Going to the store with kids and not having a wife to watch them at home... The whining gets old fast if I have to go more than once.

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,350

Do you know what brand? delta, moen? If not, can you post a picture of it. Thanks.

Advertisement

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 608

All this could have been prevented by simply tightening up one set screw on the bottom of the handle. The screw may be metric.
Not sure what the plastic piece was, insert where it slides onto the shaft, if it's small could be a plug that was coving up the screw hole.
Picture would be nice to help figure out which one of the hundreds of different style handle it could be.
jmon (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

I'm at work now so I don't have access. The piece that fell out is a gray plastic piece that looks kind of like a 1-sided cam, and it fits onto a white plastic piece that looks like it has a 2 sided cam. The white plastic piece is split and I can't fit the gray plastic piece back onto it.

The plastic piece was not the piece covering the screw, that's been missing since I got the house. This is from behind the knob.

The screws holding the handle in place were missing.

I don't recall that there was any obvious identifications of the manufacturer, I'm sure it wasn't high end at all. It was a model where you turn it counter-clockwise to turn it off, it starts out with hot water and as you turn it clockwise it increases the cold water. (For all I know the hot and cold supply might have been switched.)

It was a chrome plated metal knob, not a handle. I didn't really see anything currently like it when I looked briefly through current offerings at Lowes.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.

Last edited by WillK; 11-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
I ask the impossible!

The knob kind of looks like this, maybe it's a Pfister model
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

It may well have been a universal replacement knob if it had all those parts to it.
http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info...faucet-handles

Most often the one that came with it would have been the handle, one long screw and a plastic cap to cover the screw not all those other parts.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

That knob would be for a two handle not a single.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
I ask the impossible!

Okay, but it is similar in appearance to the handle that was on my single handle control. Closest I can find.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 720

My Moen shower control has the plastic pieces that slide on. (Even with the basic round knob)
Attached Thumbnails
Shower handle fell off and now no hot water-untitled.jpg  
123pugsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
I ask the impossible!

Okay, well let me ask on a basic level... If I buy a whole new control, do I need to stick with the same brand or is the roughed-in part of the valve body likely to be standard enough that I can use whatever brand I choose?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
I ask the impossible!

After I got home and took it apart I saw how it goes together and was able to reassemble it, restore to full function and not need to buy anything further.

AS it turns out, faded lettering was present "Glacier Bay". It wasn't apparent because the estucheon plate was installed upside down. The plastic pieces I spoke of were stops, and they were oriented wrong all along. The way it used to work, if you barely turn it on it came out hot first, then when almost all the way turned (clockwise) it would go to warm and lukewarm, but never really cold. Now it works normal, starting cold and getting warmer.

Attaching pics of the pieces
Attached Thumbnails
Shower handle fell off and now no hot water-wp_000784.jpg   Shower handle fell off and now no hot water-wp_000785.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-01-2013), TheEplumber (11-01-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,680

Glacier Bay is a home depot garbage valve. Parts are none existent. But they are cheap!!!

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote