Shower Floor Sinking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Shower floor sinking

I have a one-piece shower stall, fiberglass I believe. We found a leak/crack in the floor and have caulked/sealed it - seems to be ok for now. The house is ten years old (we bought it 2 years ago). It seems as though they did a poor job of supporting the floor in this thing...it is squishy when walking in it. On top of that, the slow leak probably caused some rot in the wood beneath...my question is: Is there a way I can fix this without ripping out the whole shower unit and probably paying someone a ton? At front of the shower (under the door) the fiberglass goes all the way to the floor - so I cant "sneak" underneath.

Advertisement

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Shower floor sinking

Have you ever heard the expression: "it is tough to polish a turd" ? I am afraid it might be appropriate in this circumstance. Unless you pay for someone to actually repair the fiberglass(not just caulk) it will probably continue to have a slow leak. And whenever I set a shower stall like that I set it in a mortar bed, which strengthens it significantly. It would be pretty difficult to address these issues without some serious work.

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

Shower floor sinking

Is there a way I can fix this without ripping out the whole shower unit

no
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
www.No-Curb.com

Rewards Points: 75

Shower floor sinking

I have never heard good things about any one piece shower pan before. The irony with these pre made pans is people buy them to make things easier and in fact they can be three times as hard to install.

When installing a shower pan properly you need the same materials as when making a custom pan.

If it is sinking and squishing chances are that the framing was modified and/or poor quality thinset was used. These pre made shower pans are also very hard to waterproof where the shower base meets the floor.

Consider ripping it out and going the custom route.

Laticrete makes some great products for these types of repairs..

Good Luck

JW
JohnFRWhipple is offline   Reply With Quote