Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

SHower Flange

The shower flange broke inside the brass fitting. I used a hack saw blade to cut the broke piece then pried it out. I noticed a knicked the threads on the brass fitting, but the new flange does screw in. I used tape and put the flange in, but it leaks big time. ALso the flange doesn't tighten unless its pointing up! So if I use dope instead of tape, will it seal it without being real tight, and does the knick in the threads unrepairable ??

The "real' dope !!

Help !!

jwyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

SHower Flange

prying it out maybe its out of round, should of used an easy out

is the shower on concrete?

Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
Picky Plumber

SHower Flange

Did you reputty flange where it meets the shower?
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #4

SHower Flange

no, it is not on concrete. I used tape to tape the new flange before putting it in. But as I said, As i turn the flange into the brass fitting in the wall, the flange doesn't get real tight until it's pointing up. Is there anything else beside the tape that will keep it from leaking, but won't give me a fit if it happens again? and is the knick in the treads and issue ?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

SHower Flange

the nick should not be an issue.
make sure all the parts are there and are installed

starting from the underside of the shower:

you have the cup witch the flange screws into,
there should be a rubber gasket (make sure it is in good shape)
a friction ring ( sit in between the gasket and shower pan)
the shower pan
your flange, as plumber26 stated you need to have a ring of plumbers putty around the flange then tighten it all up
Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

SHower Flange

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology. The shower arm broke off inside the brass coupler in the wall. I tried in in-pipe wrench set and it would not come out. Hence, I used a hack saw blade to cut the pipe inside the brass coupler, then tap it with a small chisel and got it out. Cleaned it with a wire brush.

Now I see the treads in the coupler are cut a little from the saw blade. When I wrap the new are with teflone tape and try to screw it in, on the final turn the arm stops dead pointing up to the ceiling. I pulled the arm out, re-taped it and only turn it to it pointed down...it leaked when turned on.

So now I believe there may be a little of the old pipe left in the coupler towards the back and that is what is stopping the arm from screwing all the way in. I was going to try a tap and die, and try to go beyond where the stoppage is when inserting the new arm and see if I can cut out enough to get the arm around another half turn....All advice is appreciated... I'm shooting from the hip here... THanks all
Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 548

SHower Flange

The pipe that sticks out for the shower is the arm. The flange is the large round decorative piece to cover the hole in the tile.

Couple things to try are:

1. Put pipe dope on the treads of the arm. Wrap as many layers of thread seal tape as you can get away with. Then coat the tape with pipe dope and screw the arm in. You may have to do several tries to determine how many layers of tape you can use. The key here is to use pipe dope before and after you wind the tape so that dope is contacting both metal surfaces. This technique has worked for me when using tape alone would not stop the leak.

2. If you don't care how it looks as long as it works without leaking, maybe screw a male-to-male coupler into the existing brass female. Then screw a female-to-female coupler on that and then screw the shower arm into the female coupler. Or some combination of fittings that will work. I don't have any idea whether there are fittings that will work but just trying to brain storm here.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #8

SHower Flange

I obtained a half inch pipe tap ( they are difference from standard machine taps) and bored out the threads that were damage....Heavy teflon tape and it held,

Thanks to all that replied...

JW
Old 11-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 548

SHower Flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyeager View Post
I obtained a half inch pipe tap ( they are difference from standard machine taps) and bored out the threads that were damage....Heavy teflon tape and it held,

Thanks to all that replied...

JW
Thanks for posting your final fix. Too often folks will leave their threads hanging with no final report on success or failure.

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote