Shower Fixtures And Valves. 500 Dollars? Really? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 282

Shower fixtures and valves. 500 dollars? really?

I'm looking to re-do my shower and build it out of tile. I need the plumbing hardware and would like something that is somewhat nice. If I go to the local George Morland or home depot, they don't really have many options that are not hundreds or thousands of dollars. Does it really cost 500 dollars for a valve and a handle? Where to people who want to spend about 100-200 bucks and are good with the wirsbo pex tool go for shower hardware?

Are there any online stores that build quality stuff?

Thanks for any insight or leads..

-Jeff

Advertisement

Last edited by zootjeff; 05-02-2010 at 02:42 AM.
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #2

I also want to clarify:

I'm ripping everything down to the studs and I'm doing 12 inch tiles on the walls.

I want two shower heads. One on each side.

It would be nice to have separate volume controls on each head and 1 or two thermostatic control valves.. I'm debating ganging them together or not..

I'm going to likely have a hand shower attachment, but I think I'm going to have it at head level so it can double as a dual shower head or shower head plus hand shower depending on if there are two of us in the shower or not.

Does anyone have any advice on the best value for these controls and a place to get them?

Thanks

Jeff

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Have you tried buying it from a plumber?

Your pricing seems a little high, but not that far off really, but it depends on what kind of valve you're getting too. You can get pretty cheap, but a shower valve thats going to be in the wall behind the tile is NOT something you want to cheap out on. I promise you that you will be much happier if you go with a name brand and spend the cash needed to get it.

P.S. if you're going to gang the showerheads together, you're probably going to want a 3/4" thermostatic valve, and probably a 3 function control valve as well. That starts getting into bucks there though.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

When I redid my bathrrom - new tub and vanity - pluse all new fixtures and valve for shower, tub, and sink - I searched online for quailty fixtures. Found simple but stylish ones I liked from Kohler that were reasonably priced and good quality. Then contacted local plumbing supply with the part numbers to buy - price was comparable to online and kept the dollars local and received excellent service. Also chrome finish is less expensive than other finishes.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
When I redid my bathrrom - new tub and vanity - pluse all new fixtures and valve for shower, tub, and sink - I searched online for quailty fixtures. Found simple but stylish ones I liked from Kohler that were reasonably priced and good quality. Then contacted local plumbing supply with the part numbers to buy - price was comparable to online and kept the dollars local and received excellent service. Also chrome finish is less expensive than other finishes.
Do you remember what kind of valve you wound up going with? Balancing or Thermostatic?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Do you remember what kind of valve you wound up going with? Balancing or Thermostatic?

Thanks,

Jeff
That actually doesn't even make sense. Those are not two different kinds of valves.....

Thermostatic valve means basically that you can adjust the temperature with it. That is all. Pressure balancing means that the temperature discharging from the showerhead will not vary greatly if a pressure drop is caused by a toilet or something similar in the cold or hot side. The pressure stays equal on both.

I'd highly reccomend a pressure balanced valve... most are made this way now.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That actually doesn't even make sense. Those are not two different kinds of valves.....

Thermostatic valve means basically that you can adjust the temperature with it. That is all. Pressure balancing means that the temperature discharging from the showerhead will not vary greatly if a pressure drop is caused by a toilet or something similar in the cold or hot side. The pressure stays equal on both.

I'd highly recommend a pressure balanced valve... most are made this way now.

Yes, they are different.

Look here for thermostatic:
http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...=3&nitem=cat12

Then look here for pressure balancing:

These are completely different technologies. One uses wax, one uses a diaphragm.

Thermostatic valves are more expensive and regulate to a tighter tolerance than the pressure balancing. Both regulate the temperature and basically do the same thing, the pressure balancing reduces the pressure of the hot if the pressure of the cold drops off.

Thermostatic:
http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...tershower.html

Pressure Balancing:
http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...-ritetemp.html

Not the same.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Quote:
Yes, they are different.

Look here for thermostatic:

Then look here for pressure balancing:

These are completely different technologies. One uses wax, one uses a diaphragm.

Thermostatic valves are more expensive and regulate to a tighter tolerance than the pressure balancing. Both regulate the temperature and basically do the same thing, the pressure balancing reduces the pressure of the hot if the pressure of the cold drops off.

Thermostatic:
http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...tershower.html

Pressure Balancing:
http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...-ritetemp.html

Not the same.
A thermostatic valve is not a stand alone valve.

Pressure balance is a device that goes inside of a valve to keep the pressure equal on hot and cold. Shower valves that have pressure balancing spools in them, are hence called "pressure balance valves"

Based on these links your original post is very vague, and i'm not even sure what you're wanting to build here.....
Old 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
A thermostatic valve is not a stand alone valve.

Pressure balance is a device that goes inside of a valve to keep the pressure equal on hot and cold. Shower valves that have pressure balancing spools in them, are hence called "pressure balance valves"

Based on these links your original post is very vague, and i'm not even sure what you're wanting to build here.....
OK, I went to this site:

http://www.us.kohler.com/performance...12&nitem=cat12

I saw Thermostatic stand alone valves without volume control, combined thermostatic valve with volume control, pressure balancing valves (that do temperature and volume in one), etc.

The whole point of my post was to figure out if people using the Kohler system used the MasterShower XVII system or the HiFlow Rite-Temp system. They clearly differentiate between the two systems.

Does anyone have experience with the Thermostatic ones so I can figure out if I should justify the price?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 42

The Delta 17 series faucets are in the 200 range at Lowes. You go much higher than that you are probably paying for a name or style.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Thermostatic valve means basically that you can adjust the temperature with it. That is all.
So you can't adjust the pressure at all? Then i assume it always passes full pressure? Or does it limit the pressure at all?
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
So you can't adjust the pressure at all? Then i assume it always passes full pressure? Or does it limit the pressure at all?
I went with the Delta Thermostatic valve. It has a handle and a little dial at end of the barrel. You can adjust temperature and pressure in one cartridge. Some of the other posters on this thread don't know what they're talking about.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Doing it myself

Quote:
I went with the Delta Thermostatic valve. It has a handle and a little dial at end of the barrel. You can adjust temperature and pressure in one cartridge. Some of the other posters on this thread don't know what they're talking about.
Did you order it directly from Delta? That's interesting because Delta doesn't have anything that's called a 'Delta Thermostatic Valve' in their catalogue or on their website.

I see some other websites selling delta valves calling them 'Thermostatic Valves', but I guess you're probably going to tell me that Delta has no idea what they're talking about, right?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Did you order it directly from Delta? That's interesting because Delta doesn't have anything that's called a 'Delta Thermostatic Valve' in their catalogue or on their website.

I see some other websites selling delta valves calling them 'Thermostatic Valves', but I guess you're probably going to tell me that Delta has no idea what they're talking about, right?
Delta's Thermostatic valves are called by the trade name "TempAssure"

From their website here:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/smarttech...empassure.html

From there you read AND I QUOTE: "TempAssure® Thermostatic valves monitor the temperature of the water and adjust the mix automatically to maintain precise temperature control and to keep the water temperature in your shower within a safe ±3° F. This provides a more consistent temperature than pressure balanced valves can supply."

Also if you want a to see a comparison this is a really good diagram too:

http://www.deltafaucet.com/smarttech...sal-valve.html

Why is this so hard to find? A search for Thermostatic Valve shows plenty of them, what are you talking about? Did I spell it wrong or something?

I went with the Lockwood 17T style.. Generic rough-in, Thermostatic Valve based trim.

Last edited by zootjeff; 07-19-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

So let me ask you this, the cheaper control that only has one adjustment (temperature), does that just pass thru the full pressure or does it limit it in any way?

Advertisement

Proby is offline   Reply With Quote