Shower Drain Venting Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower drain venting issue

I have a plumbing drain venting question. I installed a steam shower which is a little unique, as it is a stand-alone item that is assembled after the bathroom is completed. All they called for was a 1-1/2" drain be located at floor level off to the side of where the shower will be located. I called in a plumber to do this part, as we had to jackhammer concrete and attach this to the underground line. This was done, bathroom was completed, and shower was built. After I hooked up all the water lines, the drain line, I discovered I was having issues because it wasn't draining properly. I realized that the plumber who Installed the main drain didn't tie in a vent line, or the original home builder didnt build one into the original plan. So, to try and fix this I tee'd off the drain line before the elbow heading underground , brought it up about 4 feet, with about 3 abs elbows, and installed an air admittance valve at the top of the vent line I made. After I did this it still didn't drain properly. I removed the valve completely, and now I have a 1-1/2 pipe with the end exposed. But it works perfectly now without the aav. I'm assuming that there was not enough vacuum pressure to open the aav. My question is can I just leave it open like it is, or is there some other device I should put on the open pipe end? It has been exposed for about 2 weeks and there has been no smell at all, but the toilet has not been installed yet. Not sure what to do besides calling a plumber in, or finding someway to vent directly outside the wall but that will be difficult. I have attached a very rough sketch to show basically what was done.
I would appreciate any and all input as to what my next step is.

Advertisement

gregoriep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

You need to get a plumber in there that knows what he doing a big misconception is that plumbing vents only suck in air, not the case they also push air out depending on how the system is designed and piped in. positive and negative forces.

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,660

A flex pipe drain on the shower... Is your steam shower UL listed for the electric... I noticed alot of stuff on the Internet for sale and they come from China and have no american approved listing for electric. UL or Edison
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aav , drain , shower , vent