Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

shower drain rough in

I am remodeling a bathroom that already has a tub, toilet and sink. I am adding a shower that is completely separate from the tub. I would like to know how to do the rough in. My question is what size of drain line is required and what size of vent pipe do I need for the shower. The new shower i going where the old sink was so I am hoping that the vent (drain) that went to the sink will work for the shower.

Also, assuming a p-trap is required is there any problem with it being immediately below the drain as the line needs to fit in less than 9 inches as it will be in the second floor, floor joist.

Bill

bhisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Tileguy

shower drain rough in

2".

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

shower drain rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhisley View Post
I am remodeling a bathroom that already has a tub, toilet and sink. I am adding a shower that is completely separate from the tub. I would like to know how to do the rough in. My question is what size of drain line is required and what size of vent pipe do I need for the shower. The new shower i going where the old sink was so I am hoping that the vent (drain) that went to the sink will work for the shower.

Also, assuming a p-trap is required is there any problem with it being immediately below the drain as the line needs to fit in less than 9 inches as it will be in the second floor, floor joist.

Bill
You need a 2" drain line for your shower, and an 1-1/2" vent. You can put the p-trap as close to the drain fitting as needed. I'm confused where you say "I am hoping that the vent (drain) that went to the sink will work for the shower." Are you talking about the drain or the vent here?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

shower drain rough in

The drain for the sink currently goes across the wall to the vent pipe and tees into it at about 40 inches (well above the floor). Does the shower drain need to tie into that vent somehow?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

shower drain rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhisley View Post
The drain for the sink currently goes across the wall to the vent pipe and tees into it at about 40 inches (well above the floor). Does the shower drain need to tie into that vent somehow?
If you are eliminating the lavatory at that location you can cut out the tee, tie the 1-1/2" drain into the 1-1/2" vent as if the tee were never there, and then use the portion below the floor to vent the shower drain.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #6

Thumbs up

shower drain rough in

Appreciate the help. I think I have it now. It took me a while to get my head around the purpose of the vent and how it works. Thanks.