Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Shower drain problem Please Help !!!!

Hi everyone I have a big problem with my shower tub drain. It clogs up every year or so. I have a drain snake (auger?) that seams to work every where else in my house(kitchen,wash sink)) except were I need it most shower drain. The problems seams to be, that I cant get my snake far enough in it to get to the clog, it would go in 3-4 feet and stop progressing no matter how much i shove or turn it.

So had to call in a pro to clean it. When I described him the problem I had cleaning it, he told me that the bend angle in the pipe is too much for a regular snake to handle. He said he used articulating head snake, when he hit that portion of the pipe(that I had problem going past) he simply pointed it in the right direction and had no problems getting to the clog.

After he finished, I forgot to ask what company makes that snake or where to buy it, or even what is the proper name of that snake(auger). I was wondering if anyone can point me to where can I buy the same kind of snake. Ive looked all over online, Home Depot, have no luck finding it. Please help my drain is clogging up and I don't want to call in a pro.
franktash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

why are you having a clog issue every year?? that sounds way too often. i would be more curious about why is it 4' down the drain??

can you access the drain plumbing?? if so, what does the plumbing do?? any bends, etc??

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

I keep all my drains, including my tub/shower drains, cleaned the easy way..an enzyme-based, non-caustic drain cleaner called DrainCare.
It won't hurt the fixtures or the pipes, but it WILL eat out all organic gunk (hair, soapscum, makeup, etc.) that typically builds up in a tub/shower drain.
You just run warm water down the drain, pour in the DrainCare, let it eat overnight, and then flush it down with hot water. I always start that process with a kettle of boiling water and then let the hot water side run until the drain is flowing fast and clear.
It is available at most big box stores.
Good Luck!
Mike
P.S. I don't own stock in or have anything to do with the company that makes DrainCare. I've just been using it for years. Works great!
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auger, drain, snake