Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shower drain problem

Hi,

The tub/shower drain in my kids' bathroom is always running slowly. Tonight I took off the drain plug (it's the kind where you push down to plug and push down to unplug). Basically it came off in my hand, as the metal part holding it in the drain had deteriorated. I finally got a good look at the drain and it makes an immediate bend almost horizontally (I was expecting the pipe to go straight down....like a pipe!). Is this normal or is this the reason why we have always had problems with that drain?

We built our house 12 years ago and unfortunately, it was built by a jack-of-all-trades (master of nothing)!

Thanks for your time.

Tina

tinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

shower drain problem

The tub drain always goes directly toward the overflow, and connects with the overflow, then down to the trap and then to the main. Other than a partial clog, a consistently slow drain is usually caused by an improperly adjusted stopper. Not sure how those step-on stoppers work. All my experience is with the type located in the overflow tube. Easy to adjust.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

shower drain problem

Thank you Just Bill! My husband is not handy and I'm trying to educate myself before I throw money at the problem.

Tina
tinak is offline   Reply With Quote