Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

Share |

Shower Drain Plumbing to very roughed in pipe

Hi there everyone. Haven't done a whole lot of plumbing in my life yet but what the hell. I am installing a glass block shower stall in a basement bathroom.

My first hurdle and probably the only thing that I really dont understand is what lies underneath the concrete from the actual shower drain? This is where I am starting. See attachment.

So from here I need to bust out enough concrete to finish this into an actual upturned drain line. What size of drain line is code for a shower?
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Drain Plumbing to very roughed in pipe-floor.jpg  

CompleteBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

not sure whats in that picture but a shower drain is 2" per UPC code

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Tileguy

A better picture would be more helpful. How do you intend to waterproof everything. What about that drywall? What happens with it? You can't have drywall anywhere in or near a shower!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

The picture is of the pipe that will eventually become the shower drain plumbing into the sanitary sewer system leaving the house. I am just not sure of what needs to be connected here to the end of this pipe. Do I need to intall a Ptrap as part of the drain. Lets not worry to much about what comes next. The shower itself is another topic altogether. The shower pan will be a custom formed mortar bed. Any suggestions what would be the best product for the actual screen and drain system basically tied into the shower pan?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

" Lets not worry to much about what comes next." Huh?
Without the end game known, how do you expect someone to advise you as to what to do now?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteBath View Post
The picture is of the pipe that will eventually become the shower drain plumbing into the sanitary sewer system leaving the house. I am just not sure of what needs to be connected here to the end of this pipe. Do I need to intall a Ptrap as part of the drain. Lets not worry to much about what comes next. The shower itself is another topic altogether. The shower pan will be a custom formed mortar bed. Any suggestions what would be the best product for the actual screen and drain system basically tied into the shower pan?
need to know the size of that pipe. its original use such as, floor drain, vent, drain line etc. It will need to be trapped and vented-- if its a usable drain.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

I am in a brand new house the pipe that is there is the rough in for what is supposed to be a shower. I have to assume that when the house was built that the sytem or drain here would have propper venting. I just need to know does the Ptrap come next jointed onto this pipe that is 2" ID.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #8

It may have a trap already if it is truley for a shower. Pour a bucket of water down it. Then shin a bright light down the pipe. If you see standing water then it has a trap.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Tileguy

I gotta tell ya there C-Bath that isn't any place to be locating a shower floor drain, not that close to a wall. You have other considerations to think about before you think that location will make a proper shower drain.

You may end up digging up that floor to properly locate a shower drain. So thinking about a connection-procedure right now may be premature.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Thanks for your input Bud but I do realize that where the pipe sits now is not going to be where the hookup into the shower is going to be. I know that this line does not have a trap in it. So what I am saying is I am fully prepared to be busting out enough of the concrete to extend this pipe with the proper p trap as eplumber has pointed out is required to be there.