DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   shower drain plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/shower-drain-plumbing-139521/)

Arrrgh! 04-07-2012 09:41 AM

shower drain plumbing
 
I took out a garden tub and put in a walk in shower. The drain had to be moved from the corner to the center for the shower. I just extended the pvc over and centered the drain and used a p trap like the other drain had. I tested the drain before installing the shower pan and tiling the shower. It seemed to drain fine. However, I did not run a large volume of water through it. Now that the shower is finished, about half way through the first shower, the water started backing up. I used a shop vac to make sure that the drain was clear and it is. Do you think I have a venting or correct pitch on the drain pipe problem?

Alan 04-07-2012 11:56 AM

Hard to say without seeing your work.

You say you took out a tub and put in a shower. Did you upsize the drain? Showers require a 2" drain and there is a reason for this.

DannyT 04-07-2012 12:05 PM

what alan said. did you also put in body sprays or huge shower heads>

Arrrgh! 04-07-2012 07:35 PM

shower drain plumbing
 
Thanks for replying. I will have to look at my pvc. I think I kept 1 1/2 " tubing and it connected to my drain without a problem. I will try to download a picture that I took of my work before I put in the shower pan system. My wife is pretty mad because I will have to cut out a section of the foyer ceiling for access. At least I do have access!

Arrrgh! 04-07-2012 07:39 PM

One more thing
 
In response to Danny T. I just have a standard shower head. It is a delta wide spray head. No body sprays.

oh'mike 04-07-2012 07:40 PM

Pictures will help---Opening the ceiling isn't the end of the world---good luck--

TheEplumber 04-07-2012 07:53 PM

You didn't wash any grout down the drain did you? Thar's a quick way to plug a drain- it hardens and your shop vac won't remove it

Homerepairguy 04-07-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrrgh! (Post 894019)
In response to Danny T. I just have a standard shower head. It is a delta wide spray head. No body sprays.

I'm looking for a couple of good shower heads. How do you like your Delta wide spray head? Is the spray strong or like from a flower watering pot? If you like it, what model is it?

Thanks,
HRG

Alan 04-07-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerepairguy (Post 894029)
I'm looking for a couple of good shower heads. How do you like your Delta wide spray head? Is the spray strong or like from a flower watering pot? If you like it, what model is it?

Thanks,
HRG

I like this one. Have one on all my showers. Nice and big, but still plenty of pressure behind it.:thumbsup:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...e=0-2131042038

Alan 04-07-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrrgh! (Post 894016)
Thanks for replying. I will have to look at my pvc. I think I kept 1 1/2 " tubing and it connected to my drain without a problem. I will try to download a picture that I took of my work before I put in the shower pan system. My wife is pretty mad because I will have to cut out a section of the foyer ceiling for access. At least I do have access!

What kind of shower drain did you use?

Homerepairguy 04-07-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 894042)
I like this one. Have one on all my showers. Nice and big, but still plenty of pressure behind it.:thumbsup:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...e=0-2131042038

I was considering that shower head until I read this review on amazon:

"The experience of this shower head can best be described as standing under a garden watering can, that's about to run out of water. The pressure is very weak and the streams are hair thin. I figured the flow reducer inside might be partly to blame, so I proceeded to take it out (which took 15 minutes in a tool shop, because unlike with most shower heads, the reducer in this one is really difficult to remove. It finally came out in pieces.) Unfortunately, it still did not improve the water flow or pressure by any meaningful amount. It appears the internal design of this shower head just does not permit a lot of water to go through it."

I wonder if that poster just didn't have enough water pressure?

Thanks,
HRG

jaydevries 04-07-2012 09:29 PM

irc sizing states a 1 1/2 trap will drain up to 5.7 g.p.m.
http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...2_7_sec009.htm
there is something else going on

Alan 04-07-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerepairguy (Post 894078)

I wonder if that poster just didn't have enough water pressure?

Thanks,
HRG

Either that or just an internet troll. I love them.

Homerepairguy 04-08-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homerepairguy (Post 894078)
I wonder if that poster just didn't have enough water pressure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 894102)
Either that or just an internet troll. I love them.

Thanks Alan. I had ordered a different shower head from ebay prior to this thread. If it doesn't perform to our expectations, I'll try the Forte shower head that you're using.

Apologies to the OP for diluting this thread. Hope you can respond to my question about how you like your delta wide shower head.

Thanks,
HRG

Arrrgh! 04-10-2012 09:01 PM

slow drain
 
To anyone that was following my origional thread and question. It's a miracle! My wife kept using the shower even though the shower kept backing up. After 4 showers, the shower stopped backing up and draining just fine. I have to think that some trash fell in the pipe, even though I thought that I was careful to keep it closed off during construction and tiling. Thanks to everyone who replied with input. I am a very happy guy. Mainly because my wife isn't going to kill me.:thumbup:
Arrrgh free!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved