Shower Drain Not Centered For New Fiberglass Shower Pan - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower drain not centered for new fiberglass shower pan

I am trying to install a shower pan over concrete in our basement and I have not 1 but Six issues. I want to do it right and have no leaking or mold issues in the future. If you guys can help me out I would sure appreciate it. I wanted to get this done this weekend but hit a lot of snags already.

Is the solution to build up something under the pan so it's level and far enough above the drain pipe that I can use an offset drain? Can I just use wood beneath it?
  1. The old drain pipe sticks up too high
  2. The old drain pipe is off center
  3. Drain pipe is smaller than the 2"ID "no caulk" drain I bought
  4. The Pan is tight between the drain edge and the studs behind the shower, so the pan doesn't wiggle anywhere.
  5. The pan isn't perfectly level.

Advertisement

keyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Demo enough concrete to get down and move the drain to where you need it. I would do enough to transition to PVC and replace the trap.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #3

Holy smokes! Thank you for the reply but is there any other way?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Demoing the concrete is really not that hard. The only other way is to redo your framing to move the pan to center over the pipe. And you still will have to find a way to connect the drain to that old galvy pipe.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #5

Removed.

Last edited by keyboarder; 11-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #6

UPDATE: I measured the location of the pipe and it appears it's center is 16" from the back wall, 15 3/4 from left wall and 16 from right wall. So a 32x32" would be a better fit, though it would still be off about .25" side to side.

The shower pan/kit that I bought is 32x34" and the hole is in a different place.

If I go get the 32x32" size, how will I get that drain that sticks up so high to work with it?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

I went and bought a 32x32" pan and it lines up better, though not perfectly centered. Will this do?

What is the best way to make this type of drain usable with this pan? It still sticks up quite high in addition to being off center.

If I had my preference I'd like to keep the pan directly on the concrete so the front of the shower pan is flush with the ground. if I do it any differently, I'll have to put something under the front of the pan and I don't think that will look as good.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboarder View Post
UPDATE: I measured the location of the pipe and it appears it's center is 16" from the back wall, 15 3/4 from left wall and 16 from right wall. So a 32x32" would be a better fit, though it would still be off about .25" side to side.

The shower pan/kit that I bought is 32x34" and the hole is in a different place.

If I go get the 32x32" size, how will I get that drain that sticks up so high to work with it?
I assume that your pipe is cast iron. Use cut off blade in a small grinder. Establish the height you want and carefully cut off the excess. Please use eye protection!
Install your drain assembly first so you will have an accurate measurement

Last edited by TheEplumber; 11-26-2010 at 07:18 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

I agree with eplumber.

also if you want to get your tub perfect you could notch your back wall were you pan is, looks like you'd only need to make 4 cuts (two cuts about 1/4" on both the studs.) then shim it properly to make it square. Also in terms of level I would get some thin set and make that floor perfect as it will let your shower pan last longer. and if you raise it high enough you won't have to cut that drain (but I would cut the drain so you don't have to spend too much time raising the floor.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #10

I am having the same problem as you. I went to a plumbing supply shop and they gave me a rubber thing to put down the cast iron pipe so I could use the pvc for my fiberglass pan. You are a little luckier than me, I have to build onto my walls since my drain is not close to being centered. Best of luck and post pictures when you get done. Where did you get your 32x34 pan, I am looking for one

Advertisement

southernmom is offline   Reply With Quote