Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

shower door install- diy or pro?

5 ft fiberglass walk-in shower, new construction w/ level sides (pretty close anyway), will be installing sliding doors. I am meeting w/ company rep on thurs to get pro price. Any opinions on this being a diy job or better left to the pros? thanks
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Any opinions on this being a diy job
Ayuh,......... I Guess that would depend on the DIYer,..........

I'd do it Myself.......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #3

well, let me ask more specifically.... The glass companies I called come out and measure before the install and say they don't carry "stock" sizes but cut everything to fit (I am assuming instead of buying a standard size kit) I don't understand the need if it is a standard size, level, new shower...???
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #4

Caveat: There are no do-evers if you miscut a piece in the kit. You can't go to a home center and simply buy another length of whatever - metal, gasket, etc. If you're not sure of you own skill level, I might suggest that you take a pass and let a pro do it. The labor charge is not all that much compared to the cost of the kit and LEAKS DO COUNT.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #5

thanks Ed, I am pretty confident in my ability, I am wondering if their "field measured" doors will be any better than a standard kit I can buy? thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
ICF Construction

DIY or PRO

Leak or No-Leak?

Companies come out to measure, check for level, look for unusual conditions, etc. They do have access to a wider selection of doors/finishes then what is at the local home center. They can custom size the height if you want, the list goes on and on what you can get from them as opposed to going to the local store.

If the local store has what you are looking for and you feel confident, go for it. One piece of advice, every time I see a shower door installed by a home owner the top track/header is normally cut crooked and scratched up from whatever type of saw they tried to cut it with, silicone job looks horrible. So, cut straight, use a miter saw if you have one, use clear silicone and silicone it on the inside of the shower, not the outside.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
thanks Ed, I am pretty confident in my ability, I am wondering if their "field measured" doors will be any better than a standard kit I can buy? thanks
I recently observed an install from one of the largest shower door and enclosure manufacturers out here in AZ and there were numerous problems that required a total of four visits to get right - at no extra cost to the customer. Pieces were delivered damaged, miscut, incorrect door glass, etc. AND that was with the factory rep coming out on day one to do the measuring and ordering.

If it's the conventional two-door sliding affair that sits atop a bathtub, the home center kits are straightforward and easy to install. Few if any problems. But, in custom manufactured kits where plumb, level, angles (neo), etc. are concerned and critical, despite the best measurements taken, you may open up the box and find discrepancies as you move along with the install. The Neo enclosures are really a problem because of the angles and the correct positioning on the shower pan ledge.

Even though the company would probably make good on their goofs, there's waiting (turnaround) time involved.

Good luck with your project!
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote