Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower doesn't get cold

I had 2 new bathrooms done a couple months ago. I used the guest shower for a few weeks while my master was being redone. It worked fine for those few weeks, I think.

I just ran the guest shower, having not used it for a month, and it seems the coldest the water gets is lukewarm. Not a major problem (It still gets hot enough for a shower), but why is this?

This is the shower control I'm using is a single-handle Moen from Lowe's:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_309939-866-L...0adler$y=0$x=0

Last edited by secutanudu; 08-09-2010 at 07:56 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower doesn't get cold

I think moen answered my question on their website. But seems odd to have this problem after only a month or 2, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen
I haven't used my Posi Temp shower in my guest bath in a while. I now only get hot or cold water but not both.

1. Step 1: Turn off the water supply lines to the shower unit (the location will vary depending upon the plumbing configuration and may require that the water for the entire residence be shut off).
  2. Step 2: Remove the handle and the retainer clip (click on browse products to see how to remove the trim.) If the clip is not visible, remove the escutcheon screws and escutcheon.
  3. Step 3: Pull the cartridge from the valve body. If the cartridge is difficult to remove, the twisting tool supplied in cartridge repair kits (carded #98040 or bagged #96988) will permit the use of pliers to help break it loose.
  4. Step 4: Shake the cartridge once it is removed. It should sound similar to when you shake a spray paint can. If the cartridge rattles, reinstall it in the valve following the instructions in Step 9 and Step 10
    If it does not rattle, hold the cartridge in your hand and depress the stem with your thumb. The stem will be pushed out the bottom of the outer shell.
  5. Step 5: Check the end of the stem. If the plastic plug (called the “end cap”) is black, soak the stem in diluted white vinegar for 15 minutes to dissolve any mineral residue. Rinse with clean water. (Go to Step 7)
    If the plastic plug is white, remove the plastic plug on the back of the stainless steel portion of the cartridge and then pry the spool from the stem.
  6. Step 6: Wipe the inside of the stem and the outside of the spool removing any foreign material (such as sediment).
  7. Step 7: Reassemble the cartridge and shake it to hear if there is a “rattling” sound.
  8. Step 8: Before reinstalling the cartridge back into the valve body, use a tooth brush and white vinegar and scrub the valve body then turn on both the hot/cold water supplies lines very gradually in order to flush out both sides of the valve.
    Be prepared for a substantial amount of water that might splatter out of the tub/shower area (afterwards turn the supply lines back off)
  9. Step 9: Reinstall the cartridge into the valve, insert the retainer clip and reassemble the trim and handle/knob.

The cartridge retainer clip must be installed before turning the water back on
  10. Step 10: Test the cartridge by fully turning on both the hot and cold supply lines and operating the faucet.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote