Shower Diverter Won't Shut Off - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Shower diverter won't shut off

Quote:
There is something wrong with my shower diverter.
I have the type that's on the bathtub faucet itself.. It's on a little screw type stem that has a flat round knob. You just pull up the stem when you want to take a shower. The problem is, when I pull the stem up, half the water still comes out of the faucet and half out of the faucet.
I've tried pulling the stem up and down several times to no avail. I've put my finger up inside the faucet to feel what was going on (very frustrating because you can't see inside). Do I need to take the faucet off to get to the diverter? I tried to screw off the stem, is there some kind of trick to it like getting needle nose pliers to hold the plate while trying unscrew the stem? Is this the type you have to buy the whole pkg? Please advise me.

Lola Black

I posted this thread on behalf of LolaBeMe

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Shower diverter won't shut off

Hi Lola
Most of the type of diverter valves I think that you are explaining are basically a water shut of that will force the water up to the shower head. Normally the water spigot/faucet has this on it. This part should be able to be unthreaded from the wall and replaced. Cut around the caulk and try turning counter clock wise and see if it moves. Be careful there is a awful lot of plastic and fragile piping around and if it break you can be looking at much more then a average DYI project. If it turns it should loosen and then you would most likely just replace the assembly.

Advertisement