Shower In Different Room Runs When Tub Runs. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower in different room runs when tub runs.

Have a tub only (no shower) in one room, and a shower only (no tub) in a second room. Suddenly when the tub is turned on, the shower runs fairly strongly in the other room. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?

Advertisement

xinodahsnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

This is a rib right?

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I have seen things like this before. It was something in one of the valves. Ah??? I think it was a bad cartridge in a Moen faucet somehow pulled the kitchen sink on. Long time ago. No ghosts here
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Did it ever work correctly?

Was the shower head connected to the wrong faucet assembly, namely for the other room?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,624

Once I installed a new T&S Brass 2 handle faucet- it would turn itself on. I tightened the packing nut a little and problem solved
Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinodahsnosaj View Post
Have a tub only (no shower) in one room, and a shower only (no tub) in a second room. Suddenly when the tub is turned on, the shower runs fairly strongly in the other room. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
defective pressure balance cartridge ...when tub is turned on drops pressure in shower causing unbalance ????? replace shower cartridge and try it again...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. No, it's not a rib. I was up visiting family and their bathtub/shower is actually doing this. Their tub faucet is a compression style faucet where both handles and the spout are all one unit. I didn't pull it apart, but I assume it just has two supply lines coming up from the basement below.

The shower is a simple two handle shower faucet that feels like it's a cartridge faucet.

Both have been in the house since they bought it a few years ago, and it just suddenly started happening. One thing I did notice after further looking at it that may or may not be relevant is the shower faucets turn backwards from what I would expect. (Clockwise turns them on, counter clockwise turns them off).

Sounds like folks are telling me to suspect something funky with the shower, and not the tub. Does just simply replacing the cartridges in the shower seem like a reasonable first step?
xinodahsnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinodahsnosaj View Post
Thanks for the replies. No, it's not a rib. I was up visiting family and their bathtub/shower is actually doing this. Their tub faucet is a compression style faucet where both handles and the spout are all one unit. I didn't pull it apart, but I assume it just has two supply lines coming up from the basement below.

The shower is a simple two handle shower faucet that feels like it's a cartridge faucet.

Both have been in the house since they bought it a few years ago, and it just suddenly started happening. One thing I did notice after further looking at it that may or may not be relevant is the shower faucets turn backwards from what I would expect. (Clockwise turns them on, counter clockwise turns them off).

Sounds like folks are telling me to suspect something funky with the shower, and not the tub. Does just simply replacing the cartridges in the shower seem like a reasonable first step?
sounds like the faucet was installed upside down..when tub is being used handle falls down in shower????? does the handle turn real easy?? ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 624

There was a guy last week who could only get his toilet reservoir to fill when the shower was running.

I guess you guys are in the same subdivision?

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote