Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
boathouse

Share |

Shower for Boat house

I want to install a shower in my boat house in Canandaigua, NY. The problem is however, they don't have running water for the boat houses their. I have a room where I can put a shower. I planned on bringing in like a 50 gallon drum for water and then just drain it into the lake. Does anyone have any ideas on how to heat up the water and have it pumped to the shower?
ckornbau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Shower for Boat house

Drain it into the lake?

Not sure you can do that, you might be asking for trouble from many angencies, ie. fish and wildlife, health dept, and others.

I know I would not like a lake near me getting polluted from someone dumping gray water into it.

Your better off draining to a holding tank and having it pumped out when full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
boathouse

Shower for Boat house

I was thinking about using an all natural soap or having it drained into another 50 gallon drum. Do you have any suggestions on the shower?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Shower for Boat house

Nope no suggestions, I don't think it is allowed. No help from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #5

Shower for Boat house

Do you own the property? If you do dig a trench and run a proper water line, the same for the drain.

Keep in mind if this isn't your property you will probably want to check with the owner first as they may very well not like the idea and evict your boat if they find out you did this without permission. Talking to the owner might yield a better solution, they may be willing to work with you on the labor/costs of installing running water out there.

Last edited by Tmb9862; 01-05-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
boathouse

Shower for Boat house

I own the Boathouse. They do not have running water from the city. They say as long as you can pump water out of a drum you are fine. They say you can drain it into another drum and thenempty it when it is full. I just need someone to give me a good idea on how to pump the water out of the 50 gallon drum and make it hot water. Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

Shower for Boat house

I assume that there is no running water there, not even from a private well? Can you install a private well (permit)?
Or, you can get an agricultural hand pump or 12v battery-operated liquid pump to fill an overhead 55-gal drum with water from the lake.
Assuming that this shower would only be used in hot weather, you can expose the barrel or drum to the sun all day on a roof platform to warm up the water with the sun. The shower would then operate by gravity flow.
In the military, we used canvas shower bags (field) hanging from trees and overhead rubber bladders on platforms (main base camp) for field showers. The water was heated only by the sun all day, so the only time for warm showers was in the afternoon.
Go to an ag supply house and look at plastic barrels and hand or 12v liquid pumps. They have these pumps normally for liquid fertilizer, fuel, etc., and come in different price ranges.
You'll have to arrange to collect the drainage according to what is allowed.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote