Shower / Bathroom Install - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower / Bathroom Install

Hello All,
I am planning to frame a bathroom in my basement, but I need to figure out all the details about the shower. I plan to install a standard 48" X 34" shower base and then the walls (Lowe's Eleganza model). For framing purposes, what do I need to leave for a rough opening. Looking at my neighbors house (same basement), it looks like the walls are all standard drywall on all three sides and the shower walls are just attached. How do I attach the base to the floor? Anyone have a link to how to install a shower base and walls?

I read somewhere that the toilet should sit 12" from the finished wall to the center of the sewege pipe. Is this correct?

Lastly, there is a drain/vent line I believe for the sink. I happens to be in line where I need to build the bathroom wall. Do I just frame up to the PVC pipe and then start again on the other side, or am I supposed to cut this and install thru bottom and top plates?

Thanks,
Brent

Advertisement

xlr8tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Shower / Bathroom Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tn View Post
Hello All,
I am planning to frame a bathroom in my basement, but I need to figure out all the details about the shower. I plan to install a standard 48" X 34" shower base and then the walls (Lowe's Eleganza model). For framing purposes, what do I need to leave for a rough opening. Looking at my neighbors house (same basement), it looks like the walls are all standard drywall on all three sides and the shower walls are just attached. How do I attach the base to the floor? Anyone have a link to how to install a shower base and walls?

I read somewhere that the toilet should sit 12" from the finished wall to the center of the sewege pipe. Is this correct?

Lastly, there is a drain/vent line I believe for the sink. I happens to be in line where I need to build the bathroom wall. Do I just frame up to the PVC pipe and then start again on the other side, or am I supposed to cut this and install thru bottom and top plates?

Thanks,
Brent
Why not go get the unit? It will give you the rough in dimensions.
I usually rough toilets at 12.5 off an unfinished wall. That allows for Sheetrock and base molding. Perhaps Lowes could tell you where to get a copy of the directions for the unit? As for the vent line in the way of your framing technically you should remove the pipe, drill it, and re-install the pipe. I'd just leave the top plate out in that little section though. It shouldn't hurt anything not being there so long as both the ends around the opening are securely nailed off.

Advertisement

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote