Should I Try To Fix This Tub? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Should I try to fix this tub?

Posting to Carpentry as well as I am not sure which is more appropriate...

So we are replacing the floor in this bathroom. Subfloor is 2x6 and is in reasonably good shape that we aren't replacing any of it unless we have to.
No idea what under this tub looks like.
The tub has sunk on the outside edge what appears to be about 1/4 inch which cases water to run off the outside a bit more than it normally would.
If I pry up on the apron I can get the tub back up to it's proper height.
So question - is it worth fixing this or should I just caulk the crack and be done with it.
Not sure how much use this shower will get in the long run but it may be a commonly used shower.
The problem is I can't get under the but without taking out the tile and I am trying to avoid the cost of doing so (I have the piece to fix the gap you can see in the finger picture).
A carpenter suggested he would probably not bother, would just seal up the floor close to the tub after I put the hardybacker down as it will splash over anyway one way or another so fixing it isn't worth it and the only way he can think to fix it is to drill holes up through the floor and hope you don't hurt the tub, then shim it from under.
Before I tile this all in I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice on this particular issue... just don't want to seal it off and find out that I could have done something before...

Advertisement

devedander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I personally think if you plan to use this as a shower you should do this right and especially if you have water pooling in a corner. It may have been doing so for some time. If you bandaid this you will just be at it again in short order.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

What's the span on these floor joist, a 2 X 6 for a floor joist would have to be a really short span for it to have 1/2 a chance of working out.
That could well be what's causing your gap. Sagging, bouncy floor joist.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by devedander View Post
So question ...or should I just caulk the crack and be done with it.
No. That is never the correct answer.

Quote:
The problem is I can't get under the but without taking out the tile and...
...the tile and the tub and everything else in the room.

Yeah, plan on that... the full monty all the way down to the studs and joists.
If you can re-use any of the fixtures... good for you.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I personally think if you plan to use this as a shower you should do this right and especially if you have water pooling in a corner. It may have been doing so for some time. If you bandaid this you will just be at it again in short order.
Well this bath was last done about 30 years ago so this is about 30 years of damage.

The previous flooring was particle board over the 2x6 with laminate that wasn't very well sealed against the corners. From what I understand a shower/tub is basically GOING to leak from these corners to some extent so my thought was if I put hardybacker down and seal the corners agressively it won't get more wet so won't get worse.

As it's it's still useable and no motion when stepping in it so if it doesn't get worse it's not a problem useability wise...

Short of it - I think as much as is reasonable I can resolve the water pooling issue.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just don't be quick and penny wise here. The more you disclose the more I can assure you patching this is going to come back to haunt you and at greater cost later on.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Just don't be quick and penny wise here. The more you disclose the more I can assure you patching this is going to come back to haunt you and at greater cost later on.
Ackk... you are probably right... it's just going to get so expensive NOW...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What's the span on these floor joist, a 2 X 6 for a floor joist would have to be a really short span for it to have 1/2 a chance of working out.
That could well be what's causing your gap. Sagging, bouncy floor joist.
I will have to go down and measure but I want to say 25 inches? I can crawl between the posts pretty comfortably and I am not a small guy...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
No. That is never the correct answer.

...the tile and the tub and everything else in the room.

Yeah, plan on that... the full monty all the way down to the studs and joists.
If you can re-use any of the fixtures... good for you.
I get the feeling this is the kind of advice that's easier to give when it's someone elses wallet :P
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devedander View Post
I get the feeling this is the kind of advice that's easier to give when it's someone elses wallet :P
It may certainly seem that way but I assure you I have been on the receiving end of such news many times. I learned to take the advice though.

It looks like the tub can be saved. You might find some nice tile leftovers at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore (usually it is not so great but I have found some beautiful Italian tile a time or two). You may even have to compromise on the aesthetics and go with some sort of shower insert instead of tile.

What concerns me are structural surprises that may or may not be hiding as a result of what I see in the pictures and the pooling of water for an indefinite period of time and as a result of the tub noticeably sinking. You may get lucky but you will not know until you can see it all.

Advertisement