DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

should I switch from natural gas to electric water heater

15K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  supermaxhd 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that I have switched my HVAC I want to be proactive and replace my 16 yr old natural gas 50 gallon water heater.

My new HVAC system includes a 16 seer Trane heat pump and natural gas furnace.

Based on my Summer gas bill I estimate my current cost for hot water to be a low $10/month.

My local gas company tells me I can turn off my gas each spring and not have a reconnect charge as long as I leave it off for 8 months or longer. Doing so would elimate cost of about $175-$200 per year in non fuel cost that I pay for natural gas.

To switch from natural gas to electric I need to spend about $300 in electrical work. I have talked to a plumber who would install my new water heater and he said he would do it for about that amount.

I would really like to have one of the GE Hybrid water heaters but I don't think I can justify the cost as I have already used all of my $1500 federal tax credit and the cash for appliance rebates have dried up in my state. I may still be able to get a state $250 tax credit.

My gas cost is $8.99/mcf. Electricity is about 6 cents a kwh. The water heater is in an interior closet with pet door (which should satisfy opening if I choose the hybrid option).

I am looking at a Whirlpool 50 gallon electric water heater from Lowes for far less money than the hybrid unit. It has smart energy controls that learn when I most need hot water and a 12 year warranty. Is this a good water heater? Is this a sound plan to save a little more money and get a new water heater? Thanks for any opinions!

ps. if a moderator reads this would you correcty my spelling in the tltle...sorry about that

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Is the 6 cents per kwh for the energy only or does that include the delivery costs and other per-kwh charges?

As a rough rule, the cost per gallon of electric hot water is somewhere around twice that for gas. Less where there is cheap hydro or nuclear power and more where the power is generated using coal or oil.

But your situation is unusual where the water heater is the only gas appliance and the fixed costs (monthly fee, minimum charge, etc.) are spread out over fewer mcf or therms of gas usage.

#6 ·
Is the 6 cents per kwh for the energy only or does that include the delivery costs and other per-kwh charges?

As a rough rule, the cost per gallon of electric hot water is somewhere around twice that for gas. Less where there is cheap hydro or nuclear power and more where the power is generated using coal or oil.

But your situation is unusual where the water heater is the only gas appliance and the fixed costs (monthly fee, minimum charge, etc.) are spread out over fewer mcf or therms of gas usage.
My six cents per kwh for electricity estimate was a little low. If I take my total electric bill and subtract the $8.50 basic service charge and divide by the kwh used the cost is about 7.9 cents per kwh.

My summer month gas bills show usage of .7 to .9 mcf for hot water.

#7 · (Edited)
Have you looked at a Marathon electric unit ??

I have one .

Na/gas is a cheaper way to go initially around here as electric is around

10 cents per k .( gas I think is around 45+ cents per therm varies with the

season ( can be almost double that some times)

The marathon has a lifetime guarantee ( against leeking ( no anode needed ), plus being super insulated and not

using conditioned air ( combustion air )you should be ahead in the long run ( I believe anyways.)

Either way it looks cool :laughing:.

http://www.marathonheaters.com/

http://www.marathonheaters.com/consumers.html

#8 ·
If you like warm water and spending money electric is the way to go.
I have never personally heard someone complain about a gas W/H.
Propane rules. Buy it in the summer when rates are lowest.
Really, If anyone in your home takes long showers gas is the only option. Another thing to consider, How often does your power go off?

#9 ·
I have a 50g electric HW heater, plenty of hot water & I take long showers
And mine is set around 130 degrees
It will cost you a min of $15 more per month w/electric..probably more
So over a 12 month period that's $180 a year min extra cost
So you will really not save any $$ over the year
And actually monthly cost for electric might be $30+ a month
That's $20 a month more = $240 a year....more then you would save in the off season cost of gas

Not sure where you are located or how many people use HW at your house
I'm going w/solar heat for HW in the non-heating season
Last year I was heating my 400g+ hot tub to 108+
....one day it made it to 114 f

#10 ·
My local electric utility has a fuel comparison for water heating on their web site. Heating with with electricity is $14 per million btu's. Natural gas about 70% more or $24. Propane is triple natural gas cost.

This would mean my cost for hot water would go up $5-6 per month to switch to electric with current rates and usage. If I turn off my gas service for 9 months a year my net savings would be about $100/year. I feel like natural gas cost is more volatile than electric and more likely to increase sharply than go lower which increases my savings but who knows.

Lowes has the the GE Hybrid heat pump model $200 less this weekend for Black Friday but I still can't justify that upgrade. My total cost would be about $1900 (includes installation and electrical work and one $250 tax credit this spring) vs $1100 for non hybrid electric heater installed (also including electrical work). Best case scenario for the hybrid is it saves extra $100/yr over non hybrid model. With it being inside the house I would also be concerned that it cancels out any savings by increasing my home heating cost.

#15 ·
Rudd/Rheem make the Marathon heater and its endorsed by many electric co-ops.

Menards and Grainger also sell them.

A Marathon electric over an old type gas unit I'd probable y take the gas.

The MODERN heaters have such a short life span that you will lose out $$

wise when you have to replace them let alone any water damage from leeks.

I'll take my chances with a polybutyl tank ( no anode rod needed ).

An electric doesn't need make up air that needs to be heated/cooled ( this

closes the gap $ wise a bit .

#16 ·
1) The Whirlpool unit is junk. We have serviced more of them in the past 5 years that I can count. The equipment sucks, the service from Lowe's and Whirlpool sucks too and parts take a long time to get which sucks when you havn't taken a bath in a week or so.

2) A.O. Smith, and Rheem both make very nice stuff

3) Tankless heaters suck, all of them. Servicing and repairing them accounts for a hefty part of our monthly income so let that be your guide.

#18 ·
1) The Whirlpool unit is junk. We have serviced more of them in the past 5 years that I can count. The equipment sucks, the service from Lowe's and Whirlpool sucks too and parts take a long time to get which sucks when you havn't taken a bath in a week or so.

2) A.O. Smith, and Rheem both make very nice stuff

3) Tankless heaters suck, all of them. Servicing and repairing them accounts for a hefty part of our monthly income so let that be your guide.

I agree on all of these statments. Working on tankless makes for a good payday:yes: I wished everyone had 1:laughing:

#17 ·
Agree with NHMaster; bought one for my mom, installed it, and about a month later it needed a new board that after much wrangling over the phone with support, had them mail me a new one. I think I had to do this twice if memory is correct before one they sent didn't burn out. I wouldn't get one again.

#19 ·
I actually have a 50g whirlpool water heater...12 year warranty
Its been 5 or 6 years & no problems...knock on wood
Old one failed when I was not home
So I did not have much choice.....it needed to be replaced ASAP
If I had a chance to research I would not have purchased it
But the old one was oil fired & they wanted $1900 to install another oil fired water heater :no:
I'm going to be converting to solar for most of the year soon

#20 ·
I bought this from Sears April 09.
State Ind. made in Tn.
Item # 33948
Brand, Power miser 9. 40 Gallon. Seems like I remember paying around $375
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04233948000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
What I do remember is that the price difference was anywhere from $300 to $1500. My original propane unit is a 96 model State and has worked perfect.
I have the above listed unit stored because if my old 96 model were to fail I could be out of $1000 or more depending if I were not around and wife had to pay an installer.
My point is, if your water heater is more than 10 years old, it might pay off to have a new one sitting in the corner.

#22 ·
For the price difference between a $400 electric and a $1150 hybrid, I can pay a lot of electric bills. I do not believe a hybrid will last long enough to pay for itself.

#24 ·
How are you computing the savings associated with a hybrid water heater? The hybrid heater uses a heat pump and the heat pump takes heat from the surrounding air so if you live in an area with a long heating season for most of the year you pay for the heat and then pay for the electricity to transfer the heat to the water. During the air conditioning season the hybrid water heater will save you some electricity on your A/C --if you have A/C.

You also need to factor in exected life and expected maintenance costs. Heat pump systems are a lot more complex and a lot more expensive to maintain than a traditional water heater and the replacement costs are also a lot higher.

#25 ·
How are you computing the savings associated with a hybrid water heater? The hybrid heater uses a heat pump and the heat pump takes heat from the surrounding air so if you live in an area with a long heating season for most of the year you pay for the heat and then pay for the electricity to transfer the heat to the water. During the air conditioning season the hybrid water heater will save you some electricity on your A/C --if you have A/C.

You also need to factor in exected life and expected maintenance costs. Heat pump systems are a lot more complex and a lot more expensive to maintain than a traditional water heater and the replacement costs are also a lot higher.
My home heating and colling cost should be about equal so the added cost heating my house should be offset by the reduced cooling cost.

I estimate my electricity cost will be about $16/month for a standard electric model or $8/month with the hybrid heat pump for a savings of about $100/yr. As I have said in a previous post I will be switching out my 16 yr old gas water heater. This will allow me to turn off my gas service for 9-10 months per year without any reconnect charges. This will save me additional about $175/yr.

I can't find where the GE Hybrid has any additional required maintenance. I realize some added risk.

I go to Lowe's once a week and can't see where they are selling many of these. With the full $480 federal tax credit, $250 state tax credit, and $400 (visa cards for cash for appliances in my state that have ran out). These should pay for themselves for many families in a year or less. With the tax credits ending at the end of the year it will be interesting to see if they become deeply discounted clearance items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.