Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Share |

Should I pex (3/8" copper tubing)

I'm fixing up a trailer that currently has 3/8" copper tubing with compression fittings, or at least 'partially has', because I ripped out %60 of them, the bathroom and the old hot water tank.

Part of me loves 1/2" copper and wants to solder a brass fitting to the 3/8" and do it all in copper pipe, but I'm thinking the best approach is to use a shark-bite fitting, then buy a Pex band tool off ebay and do everything in 3/8" Pex (probably with Sharkbites at the hot water tank)

Does this seem like the best way? Part of the reason I like this approach is because I want the pipes hidden, and they'll be damn hard to solder up in the ceiling. Price is probably about the same - pipe is dirt cheap but I'll need a tool and bands and super-expensive Sharkbite fittings. Sharkbite looks a little quicker too, even though I'm pretty proud of my current soldering skills.

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I'm fixing up a trailer that currently has 3/8" copper tubing with compression fittings, or at least 'partially has', because I ripped out %60 of them, the bathroom and the old hot water tank.

Part of me loves 1/2" copper and wants to solder a brass fitting to the 3/8" and do it all in copper pipe, but I'm thinking the best approach is to use a shark-bite fitting, then buy a Pex band tool off ebay and do everything in 3/8" Pex (probably with Sharkbites at the hot water tank)

Does this seem like the best way? Part of the reason I like this approach is because I want the pipes hidden, and they'll be damn hard to solder up in the ceiling. Price is probably about the same - pipe is dirt cheap but I'll need a tool and bands and super-expensive Sharkbite fittings. Sharkbite looks a little quicker too, even though I'm pretty proud of my current soldering skills.
Use crimp ring fittings and upsize to 1/2" PEX. Use 3/4" feeders off WH.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

3/8 will give you very little flow, forget the shark bites for this job.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
3/8 will give you very little flow, forget the shark bites for this job.
Problem is that its 3/8 literally to the well, and the trailer is on top of the well =/

If you go 1/2" from 3/8" does it help water flow? I could do everything in 1/2" and if the water ended up being really bad, have someone come out and replace the well line and possibly pump.

The other weird thing is that there doesnt look to be a wellxtrol pressure tank.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

This is making less and less since.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
This is making less and less since.
That's how they did it though: 3/8" tubing goes under the kitchen sink, down into the ground. It runs from the kitchen sink, back to the hot water tank, then into the bathroom, then back out to the kitchen.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Special User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
If you go 1/2" from 3/8" does it help water flow?
Yes, it does.

If it were me, I'd run 3/4" to at least the water heater and shower because I hate weak showers. Unless you're just flipping this trailer, the incremental cost going from 1/2" Pex to 3/4" for that part of the system isn't huge.