Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Share |

should a diy be able to install a gas stove?

People,

Another project for our new home coming up- installing a new gas stove/cooktop. The appliance company will deliver the stove, but will not instal the gas line . Isnt that a flex brass tube, about 3' long?

Is that an easy job? Do I need teflon tape, or plumbers putty/cement of some sort as well?

Thanks!!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Is there already gas supply line there behind the stove with a shut off?
Scares me when you ask the questions your asking. It's all done with flared fittings on the flx lines with nothing on the fittings where it attaches. Any pipe threads for the adaptors can be teflon pipe dope or yellow gas line tape.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

What Joe said. Most localities don't like homeowners doing their own gas line work, but it can be a DIY job It should be inspected!! If the gas line is there already, as he said, it must have a shutoff valve behind the range, then a flex coupling is OK in most localities.

If there is not gas line at the range location, consider a call to your local plumber.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Towns in my region require a gas permit with an antitilt mechanism - on new gas stove installs.

Just had to pull one last month on a renovation project that included the Kitchen.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
People,

Another project for our new home coming up- installing a new gas stove/cooktop. The appliance company will deliver the stove, but will not instal the gas line . Isnt that a flex brass tube, about 3' long?

Is that an easy job? Do I need teflon tape, or plumbers putty/cement of some sort as well?

Thanks!!
I commend you for your ability..but In the case of gas line work in most places as was mentioned this should be left to the pro with full experience, not to mention you may need a permit and be certified...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

I THINK...

I think everyone here should have a DIY number based on past jobs accomplished successfully. Then all jobs should be assigned a DIY number, for instance, changing a shut off valve under the bathroom sink should be a 1.5 DIY and building an entire house would be a 10.

Then if someone was thinking of taking on a new job, they should never tackle a job that is more than 1 or 2 points above their current DIY score without the assistance of either a professional who specializes in the job or a DIYer with a higher number.

There, I did all the hard, conceptual work. I will let you guys flesh out the rest. Oh, and don't forget to call it the Beepster Scale.

I think I am around a 6-7 DIY Number. What is your DIY Number? (not to highjack the thread).

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote