Shop Is Plumbed But They Never Installed The Bathroom - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
TWX

Rewards Points: 25

Shop is plumbed but they never installed the bathroom

I've got a shop that, when the house and shop were built in the late seventies, was plumbed for sewage for both a toilet and a shower, but they weren't installed. Instead the toilet hole was plugged with something that looks like a concrete mix, and the shower/tub drain just has a cap on it. There's a utility sink sitting over the toilet's position, draining into the soil stack.

There's no flange for the toilet. To me, that's the hardest part of this- I could learn to solder pipes or I could just use compression fittings to tie the hot and cold water to the various fixtures. What does it take to put in the toilet flange?

I'm also a little unsure in what order to do things- The vent pipe is inside the shop from the concrete block wall, so I'll have to fur that wall with 2x4s or else build a little faux column around the pipe to conceal it, and obviously I still have to build the interior walls. I'm sort of considering following the commercial bathroom approach with much of the bathroom in wallboard, and since I have to finish the floor around the shower drain (the pipe sticks up through a one sqft hole in the slab) I'm thinking about just finishing the floor sloped for the shower and tiling the whole floor in the same pattern, and continuing up the walls in the shower itself with that same tile.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Shop is plumbed but they never installed the bathroom

Picture?

Advertisement