Shimming A Tub - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
RDS

Rewards Points: 150

Shimming a tub

I gutted my bathroom and had plumbers install a new cast iron tub in an alcove. After they left, I noticed they'd levelled it by placing wooden shims under the skirt of the tub, not the feet.

This seems wrong to me on two levels. First, wood shims may crack/soften over time. Second, the ends of the shims protruding into the room will interfere with the flooring I'm going to put down. And anyway, the install instructions that came with the tub explicitly say to only use metal shims, and only under the feet.

(The front feet, i.e. the two nearest the drain, are actually right on the subfloor, but the back two are hovering about 3/8" off the subfloor. That's where I want to add metal shims.)

I could call the plumbers back but I'd rather just fix it myself rather than wait for them. But where do I get metal shims? Neither of the big home stores carries them, and even searching on line, all I find are washer-style shims (too small) and super-super-thin shim stock for industrial applications. The picture in the tub install guide shows what look like maybe 3"x5" rectangles.

So I guess I'm asking (a) Am I being too anal, and wooden shims under the feet would be fine, and (b) If I do need metal shims, where does one get them?

Advertisement

RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shimming a tub

You could probably use some squares of plywood.

Advertisement

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Shimming a tub

Could you get a phenolic or metal sheet and make your own? You could combine shims to get the right height
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
RDS

Shimming a tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Could you get a phenolic or metal sheet and make your own? You could combine shims to get the right height
I thought about that. I don't really have the tools to cut a metal sheet of any thickness, though. Although I suppose I could take something really lightweight like an old aluminim gutter and use snips to cut a few squares and stack 'em.

Was hoping for something less laborious (and fewer sharp edges) but in a pinch I could do this I suppose.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shimming a tub

You can buy composite shims as well as plastic shims. I would use the plastic shims in this case. Will not compress like the metal ones, impervious to water damage and can be trimmed for the flooring.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Shimming a tub

+1 on the plastic shims with construction adhesive.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
RDS

Shimming a tub

OK, I found some heavy-duty plastic shims on-line and will use those. Thanks everyone.

Advertisement