Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shimming toilet??

Just installed a dual flush American Standard there is a slight gap between the front of the bowl and the floor (2 mm max). The largest gap is right at the front and it narrows down as you move around each side and the bowl contacts the floor about 4 -5 inches back around both sides from front center, and sits solid all the way around the back.

With the closet bolts tight, the toilet does not move. There's no rocking front to back or side to side.

What I'm worried about is will it eventually rock. If I put too much weight on the front (getting on and off), will it put too much force on closet bolts and come loose and then leak or perhaps break the flange?

Or, is 1-2 mm around the front of the bowl something that needs to be worried about?

Some advice I've received is to leave it alone. It's not leaking or rocking (no toilet movement) and if I want to make sure the closet bolts don't work loose, then double nut them. If the toilet is tight to the floor around the flange, and the flange is tight to the floor with the flange screws, it should not rock front to backor have any future issues.

Some other advice is to put a couple plastic shims under the front (hard to find a plastic shim 1-2 mm in thickness), or if the shims are too thick, use a penny where needed (put some silicone on the bottom of the shim/penny and slide under toilt just until snug (silicone will hold the shim in place). If just pushed under until nice and snug, they are telling me I shouldn't have to worry about the wax seal breaking; if I push too far under and actually lift the toilet a hair, then I'd have to redo the wax seal.

I've also been told not to shim the front, but shim the back so the front is on the floor. The problem with this is that if I shim the front, only about the front 4-5 inches of the bowl need to be shimmed whereas if I shim the back, I need to shim bascially all around the toilet except for the front 4-5 inches. Plus, since the "pivot" point of any future rocking would be so close to the front (basically 4-5 inches back from the front of the bowl), the 1-2mm space in the front would turn into a 1/4 inch at the very back of the toilet. Is shimming the front (as long as it has multiple shims around the front) really a no-no?

Right now there's no leaks and no movement, but I want to sleep at night, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

dpach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Shimming toilet??

I did some googling when I saw your post and that no one has responded.

I found this recommended on another site. (Johnny shim)
http://www.ezshim.com/products/index.html

Note; I have never used the product... just responding with something I found.

orange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to orange For This Useful Post:
Dave Holland (03-30-2012)
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #3

Shimming toilet??

You'll be fine shimming in the front of the toilet.
I would use this type of shim.
Push them under the edge of the toilet as far as you can, mark the extra sticking out with a pen then cut off the un-needed part.
After you caulk in the bottom of the toilet they will never move.
Attached Images

Last edited by AlbacoreShuffle; 10-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

Shimming toilet??

I agree with the Albacore dude.
1/16 is about what you've got. I'd shim it, trim it, caulk it, and forget about it.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I agree with the Albacore dude.
1/16 is about what you've got. I'd shim it, trim it, caulk it, and forget about it.
Thats because you are a brilliant man !
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
Thats because you are a brilliant man !
why, thank you Albacore dude!
I might add, that you're a great judge of character
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Shimming toilet??

Thanks guys.

I actually have those plastic toilet shims at home and unfortunately, they are too thick even at the narrow end. They only go under the bowl about one or two of those little grooves before they'd be forcing the bowl upwards. Even the narrow end, those are 2-3 mm thick. My space is 2 mms max.

I'll recheck them tonight to make sure, but I think I need a shim that's even thinner than these.

I saw some of the EZ-shims online but no one in my city carries them. I really don't want to wait 2-3 weeks just to get some shims through the mail.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #8

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpach View Post
Thanks guys.

I actually have those plastic toilet shims at home and unfortunately, they are too thick even at the narrow end. They only go under the bowl about one or two of those little grooves before they'd be forcing the bowl upwards. Even the narrow end, those are 2-3 mm thick. My space is 2 mms max.

I'll recheck them tonight to make sure, but I think I need a shim that's even thinner than these.

I saw some of the EZ-shims online but no one in my city carries them. I really don't want to wait 2-3 weeks just to get some shims through the mail.
do ya have a small piece of plastic backsplash material or vinyl siding you could cut? That would be about the right thickness. Honestly, i don't think it will be a problem (that small of a gap), but if you're like me-you worry too much and just want it perfect.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 10-17-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

Shimming toilet??

OK, found some thinner toilet shims. Got home and here's a few pics. As you can see, even the cardboard the shims came in doesn't go very far back before its tight. The shims only to under the very peak of the bowl's nose, and they go under about a 3/8ths of an inch up the shim.

Am I over-worrying about this or should I try and cut 3/8th inch long off the shim tips and gently push them under?
Attached Thumbnails
Shimming toilet??-img00462-20111017-1837.jpg   Shimming toilet??-img00465-20111017-1841.jpg   Shimming toilet??-img00463-20111017-1838.jpg   Shimming toilet??-img00464-20111017-1839.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Shimming toilet??

If it doesn't move, i'd just caulk the darn thing and let the caulking setup before you use it. That will hold it.
moneymgmt (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #11

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If it doesn't move, i'd just caulk the darn thing and let the caulking setup before you use it. That will hold it.
Im with Alan.
I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #12

Shimming toilet??

I saw a the thread regarding Johnny Shims. I was able to order them directly from the ezshim website on their where to buy page.

I'm hooked!

Dave Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 26

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holland View Post
I saw a the thread regarding Johnny Shims. I was able to order them directly from the ezshim website on their where to buy page.

I'm hooked!

I would have just shoved a dime under there, caulked it and called it good.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #14

Shimming toilet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I would have just shoved a dime under there, caulked it and called it good.
I was under the impression that you aren't supposed to caulk a toilet so you will know there's a leak. Do you caulk around the entire base or maybe just part? Thanks.
Roxerroneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Learning Things Every Day

Shimming toilet??

Wow, old thread. I agree that simply caulking it would have been fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxerroneous View Post
I was under the impression that you aren't supposed to caulk a toilet so you will know there's a leak. Do you caulk around the entire base or maybe just part? Thanks.
I don't know exactly what the pros do, but I left a few inches uncaulked at the back that can't be seen.