SharkBite Fittings OK? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Retired carpenter

Rewards Points: 250

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Hello!

I went to the Home Depot today to get me some copper fittings, and saw these Sharkbite fittings that look pretty cool. Most of them are so expensive that I'm just going to solder most of my fittings, but the drop ear elbows are the same price as the ones you solder, so I bought the Sharkbites.

Would someone not recommend them for any reason?

Thank you!

Advertisement

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

SharkBite Fittings OK?

As far as I know shark bite fittings can be used anywhere and meet code so you shouldn’t have a problem with them. They are also very easy to use.

take a look at this:

Advertisement

Last edited by epson; 01-08-2012 at 02:27 AM.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

SharkBite Fittings OK?

They save someone on the clock a lot of time, which is money. They are easier for DIY that don't have good solder skills. And they work where you can't get that last drip drained(can't solder if you have a drip). Most codes now accept them in closed walls.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,276

SharkBite Fittings OK?

For emergency repair situations? Sure. For one connection now and then? OK.
But for planned work with multiple connection points? ...the cost is hard to justify.

hth
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

SharkBite Fittings OK?

I've only used them in temporary situations, but have been told that if you're using them on copper to make sure NOT to have the plastic white insert inserted as it can cause leaks.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-09-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
I've only used them in temporary situations, but have been told that if you're using them on copper to make sure NOT to have the plastic white insert inserted as it can cause leaks.
Yeah that plastic insert is only used for plastic pipes so the pipe wall doesn’t clasp.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Yeah that plastic insert is only used for plastic pipes so the pipe wall doesn’t clasp.
Exactly. It's called a stiffener.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
Retired carpenter

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Thanks for the help, everybody!

It was very kind of you to add that detail about the stiffener. The instuctions on the package don't mention that part, and I would have left it there if I hadn't thought of checking with you guys first.
The Following User Says Thank You to abracaboom For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-09-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Retired carpenter

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Hello again!

You know that I trust you guys, especially when you all agree.

So I went to the Sharkbite website to see if the way to remove that stiffener is just by pulling it out with some needle nose pliers, and watched the first video here: http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/en/how-it-works

It shows the guy clearly using copper pipe with the stiffener in place. At the bottom of the page it says:

"The SharkBite® fittings have an integral Tube Support Insert that is effective in supporting PEX tubing to ensure the O-ring seals correctly on the outside of the PEX tubing. The Tube Support Insert is not required when using CPVC and copper tubing; however it is not necessary to remove the insert when using these materials."

Since that implies that it is OK to remove it when using copper, I'm inclined to follow you guys' advice. Do you just pull it out with pliers?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 81

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Yeah, just pull it out. It's in there pretty tight.

I know that at least one of the rival brands (watts I think?) keeps the two pieces separate. If you want the stiffener, you need to put it in. That makes more sense to me.
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

SharkBite Fittings OK?

I used a 3/4 inch sharkbite coupling to repair an underground pin hole leak in my main water supply line (between the meter and my house foundation). The entire water line is 3/4 inch copper pipe, 40 years old. After three years our water bill doubled again and the ground above the repair was soft/wet. I gently dug down to the repair and it has failed. It's leaking again, despite following all instructions exactly when using the sharkbite to fix the problem. I'm going to remove it, and solder a copper repair sleeve over the connection. I'm very dissapointed in the performance of the sharkbite coupling. FYI, I also removed the plastic sleeve prior to using it on copper pipe.
patrickrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrg
I used a 3/4 inch sharkbite coupling to repair an underground pin hole leak in my main water supply line (between the meter and my house foundation). The entire water line is 3/4 inch copper pipe, 40 years old. After three years our water bill doubled again and the ground above the repair was soft/wet. I gently dug down to the repair and it has failed. It's leaking again, despite following all instructions exactly when using the sharkbite to fix the problem. I'm going to remove it, and solder a copper repair sleeve over the connection. I'm very dissapointed in the performance of the sharkbite coupling. FYI, I also removed the plastic sleeve prior to using it on copper pipe.
I don't understand why you would remove the "stiffener" when the manufacture clearly states it's not necessary to do so.
I would think trying to pull it out could very well damage the internal fitting.
Especially since its been stated that it's not easy to remove them.
Could be that was the case with your situation and why it continued to leak?
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

SharkBite Fittings OK?

I am not so sure I would immediately blame the sharkbite for a failed connection to an old copper pipe with a pinhole leak. Perhaps the pipe was weakened, corroded, or otherwise out of spec. The sharkbite is designed to connect new copper pipe, the fact that it works on old pipe may be outside of standard practice, especially if the old pipe is deteriorated.

One other interesting detail about sharkbites is they are useful if you want a disconnect on PEX pipe. I have one of them immediately after the pump tee, and one before the water heater. Since I use Wirsbo tubing with the expander fittings, there is no other simple way to get a PEX disconnect, and the sharkbites seem to work very nicely for that specific application. I agree they are much too pricey to plumb a whole house in.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
I don't understand why you would remove the "stiffener" when the manufacture clearly states it's not necessary to do so.
I would think trying to pull it out could very well damage the internal fitting.
Especially since its been stated that it's not easy to remove them.
Could be that was the case with your situation and why it continued to leak?
Here's the instructions from the SB website: The Tube Support Insert is not required when using CPVC and copper tubing; however it is not necessary to remove the insert when using these materials.

3 years ago when I did the repair, the instructions on their website reccommended removing the insert when using on copper pipe. It's not hard to remove. I'll know more once I remove the SB tonight, I'm not saying the SB was defective or broke, I'm just saying that it should have worked for more than 3 years on a solid copper pipe in good condition. Maybe they shouldn't be used for underground applications.
patrickrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
DIY Enthusiast

SharkBite Fittings OK?

Maybe this could work for you?
http://stockservicesystem.com/sss/ss...alynxlist.aspx

Advertisement

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote