Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

SharkBite fittings...

I swapped out some of my PEX T's & elbows with bigger SharkBite fittings. Paid a premium but they were a few $$ cheaper @ my local HD then anywhere Online.

Anyway, so far they appear to be phenomenal. I mean a child can connect & disconnect these things & no leaks (so far).

Anything to keep in mind or are they really that good of a product? I'm considering swapping out the rest of my tiny crimp fittings for these but figured I'd check if there is indeed something to watch out for?

I installed a new faucet and had a bit more slack in the cold line.. so it was as easy as 1,2,3 to pull pipe out of fitting, cut it, re-attach.

thanks

cgerikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

SharkBite fittings...

They look like a great product, albeit price prohibitive/ridiculous. What I like is that they retain the full inside diameter of the pipe instead of necking it down at the fittings like typical PEX fittings do.

Why change out your other fittings? Are you having issues with low flow? Leaks?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

SharkBite fittings...

Nope no leaks or issues but I would like to change a few more for those exact reasons (no decrease in pipe diameter and they are are more heavy duty for some high-pressure [or I should say tension] parts). I like the fact that I can insert an inch of pipe in to the fitting with out crimping or doing anything to the pex which, from what I read can weaken that connection over time.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #4

SharkBite fittings...

More power to you, but I think you're buying into their marketing. Crimped fitting PEX is a proven system, and is incredibly durable.

The pipe diameter not decreasing is a major selling point for them.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #5

SharkBite fittings...

I have the fitting all through my house,I put them in over two years ago and not one leak even when it got dang cold around here.Love the fact that you can reuse them if you move things around
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #6

SharkBite fittings...

I found out about SharkBite off of a few forum posts from various users saying positive things so, I would not say I bought in to the marketing; I knew nothing about them till I bought the stuff and tried them out.

Don't worry I have no choice but to enjoy crimping since the tool cost me quite a bit of $$ ... and SharkBite is still lacking on some of the fitting selections so you definitely still need a combination of the two.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
When is fishing season?

SharkBite fittings...

sharkbite fittings are a life saver at times... but unless you have lots of money sitting around then it is pretty cost prohibitave to use them EVERYWHERE in the house.

The amount of restriction difference is minimal, probably won't notice anything.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #8

SharkBite fittings...

yes the cost is a bit much but then again take into consideration the cost of copper and the time it takes to get it all soldered.I know pvc is much quicker but that ain't cheep anymore either and in cold weather applications it freezes and breaks quickly so for me the best bet was pex and the shark bites.My local dealer even had fittings to combine for hookups for dishwasher and so forth
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #9

SharkBite fittings...

I read all the info at the Sharkbite website but still have my doubts about being code approved. In Ohio, Florida and Arkansas the codes state that any fitting that is not readily able to be seen, must have some type of mechanical connection. This includes glue, clamps, solder, threads and flare fittings. Compression fittings (which Sharkbite are) must be seen. Installation in walls or floors is prohibited. Going back a few years, polypropylene pipe was a godsend, until it went bad. While you may be happy with the current results, should you decide to sell your home later, you may end up replacing all non-code connections.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #10

SharkBite fittings...

thats the great thing at this point all my connections are easy to get to so in 8.5 years from now when I do sell this house if I do have to replace them I wont have to rip the whole place apart to do it and they will just pop off and I can put whatever the new people want but I do understand what your saying
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #11

SharkBite fittings...

Years from now the fittings will probably be adopted with out issue, the code is amended/updated, or something else. I wouldn't worry about things because after all, they could be 'years from now'
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #12

SharkBite fittings...

cgerikh, Standard compression fittings have been around for many years and are still not code approved unless "readily available to be seen". Not saying it won't happen, but it may not. I can't see paying the high price for something I may need to replace later with a cheaper product. I always figure it is better to do it right first than to change it later.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #13

SharkBite fittings...

as they say... only time will tell...