Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sharkbite Fittings

A Bit about SharkBite Fittings

I am new to thus forum, but not to reading it.

A little about myself, I am a Jourmeyman Plumber and Gasfitter. I have worked as a Plumber in British Columbia for many years a d currently own and operate a Plumbing and Heating Company that employees several Plumbers and Apprentices.

Sharkbite Fittings seem to get a bad rap on forums such as these.

You have DIY people who, don't work on Plumbing Systems on a day to day basis taking advice from Plumbers who seem to have it in for these versatile fittings.

Sharkbite fittings have been around in some way for many many years. Push fit Tech is nothing new and has been used by industry for many years. Only in the last few years have they become available to the DIY person through the big box stores.

As a Plumber I find them to be 100% OK

They are approved by code
They can be installed underground and without protection
They can transition between material with ease

Besides Sharkbite, your choices are limited

Sweat - Torch to Building (Not Smart)
Compression - Cant Conceal.
Thread - Better have a threader or pay someone to do it for you. Pre measured fittings
Or Press Fit - Pex rings (Pex Limited) or Propress

I could go on, but the only way a sharkbite Will FAIL is if the installer makes an error during installation.

Reasons for failure are

Not measuring depth
Not Preparing pipe surface.

Sharkbite fittings are approved by code and perfectly acceptable to install.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidblackwoods View Post
Sharkbite Fittings seem to get a bad rap on forums such as these.
As a Plumber I find them to be 100% OK
The criticism is of two parts:
1) using them rather than learning to sweat
2) using them in planned work is an extra expense

If a professional plumber chooses to use them when doing service or new construction work isn't really material to either of those points.

hth

Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 586

Sharkbite Fittings

They are off limit anyone of my guys caught using one of those type fittings will be fired on the spot.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Sharkbite Fittings

Fire them on the spot.

My guess is you operate a plumbing company doing New Construction or have no experience doing residential service.

Your point is irrelevant and based on nothing but bias passed on by people who are behind in the times.

You can't fire a worker for using a product approved by code for use. If you do it is grounds for appeal by the employment standards act.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davidblackwoods For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-13-2013), joecaption (06-13-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-13-2013), Nailbags (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,252

Sharkbite Fittings

Do we really have to dig this topic up again?

Anybody who is anyone on this board has voiced their opinions- but hey let's go around again shall we......
gregzoll (06-13-2013), oh'mike (06-14-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Do we really have to dig this topic up again?

Anybody who is anyone on this board has voiced their opinions- but hey let's go around again shall we......
Have to beat that poor dead horse again, since it has only been a couple weeks, since we went through this argument for and against.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Sharkbite Fittings

Sharkbite Fittings can be installed on underground applications for potable water pipe.

You can not Solder underground, if you want to use a brazed joint you can.

You can not use compression couplings underground

You may use a Corporation Coupling if you would like, the price is much higher than a sharkbite but don't worry you can show you super Technical skills to the customer.

Sharkbite Fittings can be used to transition from one material to the other. You can do your super fancy soldering skills and buy a whole bunch of adapters. Man that looks good to the other plumbing buddies.

End of the day. The hub has to be done to code and done well.

If a Sharkbite coupling can do that then go ahead.

I suppose that all of you who hate sharkbite fittings are experts at Lead Oakum joints.

I guess they make a great seal. Lets drop the Plastic ABS and PVC be Men plumbers and impress the other buddies.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidblackwoods For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
They are off limit anyone of my guys caught using one of those type fittings will be fired on the spot.
Try using that argument without backing documentation stating why they are not allowed by state or local codes, you will find yourself losing not only your company, but also can lose your professional license, and laughed out of the appeal hearing.

There was a reason that Shark bites were created, and alot has to do with the fact that Compression type fittings are becoming outdated, along with just like those that do not take the time to install Shark bite fittings properly, Compression fittings can also fail. Same goes for Pex.

I remember you being the one that became defensive against the discussion about Shark bites in the last thread.

See this Javiles http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-fittings.html specifically post #4 that points out Florida code. So what is that about firing your workers on using fittings that are okay by your state code?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Sharkbite Fittings

You hit the nail on the Head Greg

I can understand that someone would not want to do a house repipe with sharkbite fittings.

I would say they are cost prohibitive and tough to use on the corners. But if someone did do a house with one and it worked i would have no problem.

One advantage of doing an entire house with sharkbite fittings would be ease of service. You could easily remove a sharkbite service the area and in no time get the system up and running again.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,180

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidblackwoods View Post
Fire them on the spot.

My guess is you operate a plumbing company doing New Construction or have no experience doing residential service.

Your point is irrelevant and based on nothing but bias passed on by people who are behind in the times.

You can't fire a worker for using a product approved by code for use. If you do it is grounds for appeal by the employment standards act.
He can if he is the boss paying for the material. Not everyone is union.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #11

Sharkbite Fittings

I am not union.

Also he can not fire someone for using a sharkbite just like he can't fire someone for arriving to a job site in a car vs a pickup truck
Old 06-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Sharkbite Fittings

Bottom line is that some plumbing pros probably the ones that do residential work see it as another example of taking work away from them.
In the past people would call a pro for a leaking pipe in their house because they didn't have the tools or knowhow to make the repair. Now, with the sharkbite most people can do those repairs with little or no tools or fear of doing it themselves.
Sharkbites are a tested and approved product that any DIY'er can use without needing a plumber.

Last edited by sublime2; 06-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-13-2013), Nailbags (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post

He can if he is the boss paying for the material. Not everyone is union.
You forgot, ignorant.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,204

Sharkbite Fittings

Welcome to the Forum davidblackwoods.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Sharkbite Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Bottom line is that some plumbing pros probably the ones that do residential work see it as another example of taking work away from them.
In the past people would call a pro for a leaking pipe in their house because they didn't have the tools or knowhow to make the repair. Now, with the sharkbite most people can do those repairs with little or no tools or fear of doing it themselves.
Sharkbites are a tested and approved product that any DIY'er can use without needing a plumber.
Especially if it is 7 in the morning on a Sunday, or 8 at night on a Saturday night, quicker to run to the big box, grab the Shark bites to fix the problem, then being without water for a day or so.

Closed Thread