DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbite Fittings

8K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  TheEplumber 
#1 ·
A Bit about SharkBite Fittings

I am new to thus forum, but not to reading it.

A little about myself, I am a Jourmeyman Plumber and Gasfitter. I have worked as a Plumber in British Columbia for many years a d currently own and operate a Plumbing and Heating Company that employees several Plumbers and Apprentices.

Sharkbite Fittings seem to get a bad rap on forums such as these.

You have DIY people who, don't work on Plumbing Systems on a day to day basis taking advice from Plumbers who seem to have it in for these versatile fittings.

Sharkbite fittings have been around in some way for many many years. Push fit Tech is nothing new and has been used by industry for many years. Only in the last few years have they become available to the DIY person through the big box stores.

As a Plumber I find them to be 100% OK

They are approved by code
They can be installed underground and without protection
They can transition between material with ease

Besides Sharkbite, your choices are limited

Sweat - Torch to Building (Not Smart)
Compression - Cant Conceal.
Thread - Better have a threader or pay someone to do it for you. Pre measured fittings
Or Press Fit - Pex rings (Pex Limited) or Propress

I could go on, but the only way a sharkbite Will FAIL is if the installer makes an error during installation.

Reasons for failure are

Not measuring depth
Not Preparing pipe surface.

Sharkbite fittings are approved by code and perfectly acceptable to install.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sharkbite Fittings seem to get a bad rap on forums such as these.
As a Plumber I find them to be 100% OK
The criticism is of two parts:
1) using them rather than learning to sweat
2) using them in planned work is an extra expense

If a professional plumber chooses to use them when doing service or new construction work isn't really material to either of those points.

hth

#8 ·
Try using that argument without backing documentation stating why they are not allowed by state or local codes, you will find yourself losing not only your company, but also can lose your professional license, and laughed out of the appeal hearing.

There was a reason that Shark bites were created, and alot has to do with the fact that Compression type fittings are becoming outdated, along with just like those that do not take the time to install Shark bite fittings properly, Compression fittings can also fail. Same goes for Pex.

I remember you being the one that became defensive against the discussion about Shark bites in the last thread.

See this Javiles http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_...home-buyers-diy/30396-sharkbite-fittings.html specifically post #4 that points out Florida code. So what is that about firing your workers on using fittings that are okay by your state code?

#4 ·
Fire them on the spot.

My guess is you operate a plumbing company doing New Construction or have no experience doing residential service.

Your point is irrelevant and based on nothing but bias passed on by people who are behind in the times.

You can't fire a worker for using a product approved by code for use. If you do it is grounds for appeal by the employment standards act.

#7 ·
Sharkbite Fittings can be installed on underground applications for potable water pipe.

You can not Solder underground, if you want to use a brazed joint you can.

You can not use compression couplings underground

You may use a Corporation Coupling if you would like, the price is much higher than a sharkbite but don't worry you can show you super Technical skills to the customer.

Sharkbite Fittings can be used to transition from one material to the other. You can do your super fancy soldering skills and buy a whole bunch of adapters. Man that looks good to the other plumbing buddies.

End of the day. The hub has to be done to code and done well.

If a Sharkbite coupling can do that then go ahead.

I suppose that all of you who hate sharkbite fittings are experts at Lead Oakum joints.

I guess they make a great seal. Lets drop the Plastic ABS and PVC be Men plumbers and impress the other buddies.

#9 ·
You hit the nail on the Head Greg

I can understand that someone would not want to do a house repipe with sharkbite fittings.

I would say they are cost prohibitive and tough to use on the corners. But if someone did do a house with one and it worked i would have no problem.

One advantage of doing an entire house with sharkbite fittings would be ease of service. You could easily remove a sharkbite service the area and in no time get the system up and running again.

#19 ·
I am not union.

Also he can not fire someone for using a sharkbite just like he can't fire someone for arriving to a job site in a car vs a pickup truck
" If I own the non-union Company I will fire an employee for anything I want, of course my written reason will be within the law"

#12 · (Edited)
Bottom line is that some plumbing pros probably the ones that do residential work see it as another example of taking work away from them.
In the past people would call a pro for a leaking pipe in their house because they didn't have the tools or knowhow to make the repair. Now, with the sharkbite most people can do those repairs with little or no tools or fear of doing it themselves.
Sharkbites are a tested and approved product that any DIY'er can use without needing a plumber.

#17 ·
Joe, of course if there are plumbers that are artists, when it comes to working with Copper, I can say that the guy I use all the time is. Problem with PEX, is those who have never used it, or try to rush through it, cause enough problems, that the when the pros come in to correct the mistakes.

The worst I have seen so far, was that recent bath remodel, where the person putting in the PEX before the homeowner, must have been stoned or drunk, or both, when they did that mess.

#21 ·
The way the future of plumbing is going, fittings such as Sharkbite are the way of the future.

It is very dangerous to take an open flame and work within a building. For this reason Soldering and sweating will see its time come to an end. We can already see the start of it now.

Again, so we understand.

The fitting is Approved for use by Plumbing Codes in the United States and Canada.

#24 ·
The way the future of plumbing is going, fittings such as Sharkbite are the way of the future.

It is very dangerous to take an open flame and work within a building. For this reason Soldering and sweating will see its time come to an end. We can already see the start of it now.

Again, so we understand.

The fitting is Approved for use by Plumbing Codes in the United States and Canada.
SOME places. I believe IL has'nt approved them yet. One of the pros can correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, that's the case here.

#26 ·
jproffer said:
SOME places. I believe IL has'nt approved them yet. One of the pros can correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, that's the case here.
Actually they are approved for ise here in Illinois, or they would not be on the shelfs. Been in Chicago area hardware stores, same stock they have downstate (romex, shark bites, etc.) that the Chicago codes are steingent on, those goods are allowed to be sold, due to not everyone that shops in those stores is going to live in Cook or Lake county.

As long as the item is approved by the code and testing God's, you will find them on the shelfs.

#27 ·
jproffer said:
Bringing up shi+ like that is just ignorant. I'm not stupid, I realize you can't discriminate on that basis alone...but I don't care what color you are, if you're screwing up....you're F-in fired. Period.
Again, you have to prove the person is incompetant. Most states your hands are tied and you have to document everything, to show your side of the case why they were dismissed.

If the person is late for a reason, yes they better have a good reason why, and better call to let you know that yhey are running late and te reason why.

Not doing the job with your guidelines or the rules of the codes, better have proof documented showing.

Here in Illinois, non-union workplaces can let you ho for no reason, union it is hard, because you have so many lauers of protection, but if you know how to get around those layers, you an get rid of the problem, and they will not be back in another part of the company or division.

#29 ·
Again, you have to prove the person is incompetant. Most states your hands are tied and you have to document everything, to show your side of the case why they were dismissed.

If the person is late for a reason, yes they better have a good reason why, and better call to let you know that yhey are running late and te reason why.

Not doing the job with your guidelines or the rules of the codes, better have proof documented showing.
Here in Illinois, non-union workplaces can let you ho for no reason, union it is hard, because you have so many lauers of protection, but if you know how to get around those layers, you an get rid of the problem, and they will not be back in another part of the company or division.
I do (or would, theoretically...based on Javiles' statement)...I (he, in this case) don't allow them to be used. You don't HAVE to allow your employees to muttle through doing things to bare minumum code requirements...you can require a higher standard, and if they don't meet those higher standards, then....time to go.

#33 ·
I find it very interesting that compression fittings are not allowed underground, but sharkbites are. Does anyone know the logic behind this?

I Personally think sharkbites are wonderful where you want to transition from one material to another on a straight run. Yes you have to prepare the pipes properly, and be diligent when installing them, but that is true of all connections, of every type.

I would never use them for a complete install, though, due to more than just cost. In defense of Javiles and his boss, if an employee wants to use sharkbites and they are not allowed by his company, then the employee can go and work somewhere else where they are allowed. After all, who is going to have to bear the cost of the damage if one lets go? Im sure the suppliers liability is limited to the cost of a new fitting.

My opinion regarding sharkbites is of course just my opinion, but my logic is sound. At least I think it is. :eek:

With regard to plumbing supply lines under pressure my choice would be as follows:

Soldered
Solvent welded, (glued)
Compression.
Sharkbite
Crimped

Time will tell whether my list is correct. 1 through 3 have already proven themselves, in my experience.

I think an owner has every right to demand certain practices based on his personal experience. After all, how many things are allowed "By Code" that many of us do not agree with?

#39 ·
Quote from Idaho Labor FAQ's (my state)

Idaho is a "work at will" state. This means there is no set length for an employment relationship and either the employer or the employee may end it at any time, with or without notice; with or without cause. If there is an employer policy, employment contract or union agreement, the employment relationship may be subject to the terms and conditions of that policy, contract or agreement. The policies, contracts and agreements set up and enforced by the employer, must be in compliance with Idaho’s wage payment laws.
There are some exceptions to an employer's right to terminate an employee. For example, employees should never be terminated for a discriminatory or retaliatory reason or a violation of public policy.

I have seen plumbers terminated for not keeping a clean vehicle, smoking in the truck, not answering an after hour call- causing the backup man to take it, using a piercing valve for an ice maker line, not camering a mainline after cabeling, late for work......to name a few

#45 ·
COLDIRON said:
" Who cares about the unemployment board as long as the loser is not on my payroll anymore?"
Try stating that during an appeal hearing. You can find yourself losing more than an employee. You can lose your license and be fined thousands of dollars.

Comments like yours shows why most businesses wonder why prople do not use them, or go with someone else after the truth comes out about the owners way of thinking.

#49 ·
Try stating that during an appeal hearing. You can find yourself losing more than an employee. You can lose your license and be fined thousands of dollars.

Comments like yours shows why most businesses wonder why people do not use them, or go with someone else after the truth comes out about the owners way of thinking.
"I don't think you comprehend what people are saying and try twisting everything around to your way. My basic point is I would fire anybody I want to for any reason I see fit. If I have to go to a hearing before the UE board I guarantee the X employee will lose more than his/her job, no problem. What's wrong with this world today is everybody's afraid of their own shadow and worried about lawsuits and PC stuff, what ever happened to working things out?. Like talking about the problems or kicking some a--.. OH please don't sue me. It's my Company I started it and worked hard to keep it so I will just do as I dammed well please. The first thing I would do is put your application in the round file.

#50 ·
That the way its in Florida, i been lucky we had over the years good guys and i exaggerated i wouldn't fire someone for using sharkbites at least not the first time, i would explain my reasons why i don't like using them if they did it again i would look for a meeting of the mind by the third time then he's gone.

#54 ·
The justification of why they don't use sharkbite fittings is the same when the industry went away from the following:

Lead Oakum Poured Joints - ABS / PVC
Threaded Galvanized Pipe - Soldered Pipe
Copper Pipe - PEX Tubing
Threaded BI Pipe - Gastite
50/50 Solder - Lead Free
Cast Iron Joints - Fire rated plastic pipe

The industry will leave those resistant to change behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.