DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Sharkbite Fittings (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/sharkbite-fittings-165804/)

digitalplumber 12-06-2012 10:16 PM

Sharkbite Fittings
 
I need some professional opinions here.

I am the Pres of an Condo HOA. Our management company use a plumber that makes all of his repairs with sharkbite fittings.

The last one which was easily accessable in the attic, he charged us 250.00.

My question is: Do you guys and gals feel that sharkbite fittings are an acceptable long term way to fix PEX? or should he be splicing and using rings?

Thanks

TheEplumber 12-06-2012 10:52 PM

Why use SB's on pex?

sublime2 12-06-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1068042)
I need some professional opinions here.

I am the Pres of an Condo HOA. Our management company use a plumber that makes all of his repairs with sharkbite fittings.

The last one which was easily accessable in the attic, he charged us 250.00.

My question is: Do you guys and gals feel that sharkbite fittings are an acceptable long term way to fix PEX? or should he be splicing and using rings?

Thanks

$250.00! Could have done it yourself and saved $240.00!
As for long term,SB will stand the test of time.
they are also safe to used behind walls.

dftc 12-07-2012 03:11 AM

Sharkbites are actually more reliable than most people presume. However, PEX isn't all that difficult to work on anyway and for 250 you should be able to ask him to use crimp ring fittings if that's what you want. He should have the tools to do it and if he doesn't then maybe consider another plumber.

Fairview 12-07-2012 06:01 AM

I doubt you get any sympathy on cost here and that's one reason of many why people DIY. But what failed that caused a repair to be made?

digitalplumber 12-07-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1068056)
Why use SB's on pex?


?????????????????

digitalplumber 12-07-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1068060)
$250.00! Could have done it yourself and saved $240.00!
As for long term,SB will stand the test of time.
they are also safe to used behind walls.

Yes unfortunately, this complex is 100 miles away and not my unit. I just wanted to get a feel for the SB repair, for long term especially since he is charging so much.

Thanks

digitalplumber 12-07-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dftc (Post 1068089)
Sharkbites are actually more reliable than most people presume. However, PEX isn't all that difficult to work on anyway and for 250 you should be able to ask him to use crimp ring fittings if that's what you want. He should have the tools to do it and if he doesn't then maybe consider another plumber.

Thanks, just wanted to get a consensus for long term permanent repair.

digitalplumber 12-07-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1068132)
I doubt you get any sympathy on cost here and that's one reason of many why people DIY. But what failed that caused a repair to be made?



Not looking for sympathy, I know the price is outrageous. Its not my unit, but the management company sends this guy when they get a call from tenants, even when its not the HOA's resposibility.

From the limited information on the bill, apparently the pex developed a pinhole leak. Just looking for a concensus on whether the SB is a valid long term repair and or what you guys do.

Thanks

Daniel Holzman 12-07-2012 11:26 AM

I don't get why you and others on this forum think $250 is outrageous. There is zero information on how far the plumber had to travel, how long it took him to perform the work, whether he has a standard minimum charge etc. As to the comment that you could do the work yourself for $10, that refers only to the estimated cost for the fitting and perhaps new PEX, it does not take into account travel time to and from the site, time on site, cost of tools and equipment etc. Seems to me that a lot of DIY folks value their time at zero, hence conclude that tradespeople are charging outrageous amounts of money because they do not (and should not) value their time at zero.

hvac benny 12-07-2012 11:39 AM

As long as an approved fitting was used and installed properly, I don't see the issue. As for the price, $250 sounds come rely reasonable: 2 hour minimum @ $100/hr plus a $50 truck charge. Sounds like he didn't even charge for materials. If you want cheap, hire a handyman. BUT, don't expect it to necessarily be done right.

Ishmael 12-07-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvac benny (Post 1068301)
As long as an approved fitting was used and installed properly, I don't see the issue. As for the price, $250 sounds come rely reasonable: 2 hour minimum @ $100/hr plus a $50 truck charge. Sounds like he didn't even charge for materials. If you want cheap, hire a handyman. BUT, don't expect it to necessarily be done right.

I agree 95%. This was likely an emergency call(?) which may mean he had to pick up and leave one job to respond - possibly with a helper/apprentice along for the ride. The only argument I have with your statement, hvac benny, is that I'd expect a handyman to use sharkbite fittings - not a professional.

paintdrying 12-07-2012 07:09 PM

Yes, sharkbites are acceptable. He did you right. I have used them, and will continue to use them. I do not like them, but hey, everyone does it. People ask me all the time if they paid to much. I give everyone the same response, " I do not know what type of arrangement you had" As to why he used a shark bite, we do not know the circumstances surrounding the call. It could have been 3 in the morning on a steep frozen platform 60 feet in the air. The plumber might of had to climb and wanted as few tools as possible. Maybe the crimpers would not fit in a really tight space. Your making a lot of trouble for yourselves and others saying a price was to much.

sublime2 12-07-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman (Post 1068296)
I don't get why you and others on this forum think $250 is outrageous. There is zero information on how far the plumber had to travel, how long it took him to perform the work, whether he has a standard minimum charge etc. As to the comment that you could do the work yourself for $10, that refers only to the estimated cost for the fitting and perhaps new PEX, it does not take into account travel time to and from the site, time on site, cost of tools and equipment etc. Seems to me that a lot of DIY folks value their time at zero, hence conclude that tradespeople are charging outrageous amounts of money because they do not (and should not) value their time at zero.

OP indicated that there was a pin hole in the pex causing the leak and the pex was easily accessible from the attic. $10 for the fitting and 20 minutes tops to cut the pex and attach fitting. A pex pipe cutting toll is all that was needed by the "pro"$250 is ALOT for most people,hence this DIY web site.
As for DIY folks valuing their time as zero,one can look it as paying themselves $240.00 for a 1/2 hr of work!

TheEplumber 12-07-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 1068620)
OP indicated that there was a pin hole in the pex causing the leak and the pex was easily accessible from the attic. $10 for the fitting and 20 minutes tops to cut the pex and attach fitting. A pex pipe cutting toll is all that was needed by the "pro"$250 is ALOT for most people,hence this DIY web site.
As for DIY folks valuing their time as zero,one can look it as paying themselves $240.00 for a 1/2 hr of work!

You do not have enough info to say the price was too high except the OP's vague description. I'm not saying it was a justified charge, however, consider travel time, hunting down or waiting for authorization, overtime/after hrs, finding a hidden shut off valve or curb stop, perhaps waiting on water dept. The list goes on..... and then we get into costs of running the shop- overhead costs the customer doesn't consider
These are things that happen on multiple calls- someone needs to pay for them. If its the plumber then he'll be out of bussiness


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved