Shark Bites In The Ceiling - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Shark bites in the ceiling

If a plumber came in to "fix" frozen pipes in a house with a hodge podge of galvanized and copper, and added in PEX, what would you say about his using Shark Bites to do it? The more I am reviewing the bill paid while we were in escrow for work done to close, the more steamed I get. Seems I'm the proud owner of about a dozen Shark Bites in my now closed up kitchen ceiling, and there's still galvanized up in there, too. Am I out of line? These are O ring connectors, right? Don't O rings all set and eventually deteriorate and begin to leak? And these aren't full flow connectors, either, so are they acting in conjunction with my remaining (dunno why he left it there) galvanized to lower my water pressure to some fixtures? My portion of the bill for work that was done during escrow seems to bring the total to 11 hours in my kitchen ceiling and I still have galvanized and a bunch of Shark Bites and the plumber wonders why I called his boss and said this isn't kosher?!? Am I completely off base?

Advertisement

OurHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

They won't lower your pressure, just the flow rate. Pressure stays the same.

Without seeing the bill, I can't say what's fair or not, but 11 hours to put in some sharkbites? Depends on how much exploration and demo he had to do, how many leaks there were, how many times did he have to turn on the water, then turn it back off after discovering another leak.

Really hard to say, but it's not entirely impossible.

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
They won't lower your pressure, just the flow rate. Pressure stays the same.

Without seeing the bill, I can't say what's fair or not, but 11 hours to put in some sharkbites? Depends on how much exploration and demo he had to do, how many leaks there were, how many times did he have to turn on the water, then turn it back off after discovering another leak.

Really hard to say, but it's not entirely impossible.
Right, flow rate... (gearing up for my show down with the company owner) I don't speak plumbing, professionally. I have a decent concept of what's happening, but I don't speak plumbing, and that makes me nervous as I know I'm going to have to formulate my arguments.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,610

Was the plumber called in to fix frozen pipes or repipe your lines? Was he told to replace the galv. and copper? I thought shark bites are code approved. Granted, I don't use them but some people do. Why am I even responding to this...its between you and your plumber
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Was the plumber called in to fix frozen pipes or repipe your lines? Was he told to replace the galv. and copper? I thought shark bites are code approved. Granted, I don't use them but some people do. Why am I even responding to this...its between you and your plumber
As to why you're responding, I dunno

As to what he was called in to do, hmmm interesting question. The house became ours officially almost a month ago. We offered on it in February ("short sale" LOL... short, ha!) His bill states that he chased down a number of leaks in the kitchen ceiling, and replaced broken galvanized with PEX. This work was being paid for in a split between all parties, but as the future owner I told him while his head was in between my ceiling joists that while he's up there, if he sees anything that WILL be a problem in the near future, please tell me and we can deal with it before we close up the ceiling and seal in a nightmare waiting to happen. Pretty clear, to my estimation. I guess I always thought any plumber worth his weight in salt would speak up and say "hey lady, this galvanized is gonna suck, if it doesn't already." I nearly blew a gasket when the ceiling was already closed and we were about to close escrow and he had to come back for a Shark Bite that failed in another area that was thankfully still open and I asked "you think we'll be OK plumbing wise for a bit... I mean, we've really chased down all the freeze issues and done right on them, and we're OK for a bit?" and he tells me without missing a beat "well... the galvanized that's still left in your ceiling, that's gonna be your headache." Umm geez, didn't I say something about that when it was open?!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Like I said- this is between you and your plumber. When you want to replace the pipe I'll be glad to help answer your DIY questions.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Just so you know (not sure how many houses you've purchased) there are always problems with people doing work on homes that are in escrow. Whenever we get called to work on one, it's never quite clear WHO exactly is going to be paying us for our part of the work.

Fixing leaks is one thing, but replacing the lines completely could have been a step too far as far as his supervisor was concerned. Called in to fix leaks, and then the buyer asked to replace the lines completely. . . .

What if for some freak reason you didn't end up getting the home? Most people wouldn't pay it.

Just sayin . . . . . .
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Like I said- this is between you and your plumber. When you want to replace the pipe I'll be glad to help answer your DIY questions.
His boss sided with me, and we're splitting the final bill in half because the work was half-arsed...

Eplumber- I'll totally TOTALLY take you up on that. Soon I get to start small by re-plumbing my 1/2 bath. My new plumber whom I totally LOVE has promised to show me some things and loan me some tools. He's dealing with the cast iron drain pipe and stack issues, because that's far deeper than I wish to tread, but I'm running the sink lines and toilet inlet, and setting the fixtures. Setting the toilet doesn't intimidate me, because I set two others recently, but the pedestal sink is a wee bit intimidating...
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

I'm glad its resolved. I'm sure I speak for others too when I say I look forward to helping you
Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 170

I'm not convinced on the longevity of sharkbite fittings, and I sure wouldn't want them inaccessible and definitely not in my attic; But, they are not more of a flow restriction than any crimp style fittings I have ever seen or used. The inside diameter of the sharkbite fitting is much closer to full diameter of the pipe.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #11

@Eplumber- I'm so glad I found this place. I used to apprentice for my dad years ago on all his projects so I hope it comes back to me, but I'm glad I have this place to help, too.

@IamMrFixIt- You're in Iowa, too, I notice? Cool.

Advertisement