Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

Share |

Sewer Smell Outside on a Cold Calm Morning

We recently bought a 20 year old 2000sq ft split entry bungalow on its own septic system, the septic was pumped before we moved in (we have the receipt). This morning walking from the front door to the car I could smell what I would describe as a sewer type smell. It was cold this morning, around -5, and very calm (no wind).

During the summer I spent a lot of time in the yard and never noticed any smells before. There is a vent stack that comes thru the roof on the back side, near, but not at the peak of the roof and it looks like it has some sort of cap valve type of thing on the end of it.

I walked over to the other end of the house where the septic tank is and I didnt notice any smell, or stronger smell coming from that area.

From what Ive found reading on the internet, some sewer gas is heavier then air and can fall towards the ground when there's no wind. But is there anyway to take care of the smell? The Vent stack looks like it sits high enough out of the roof, although I havent measured it to make sure.

Any Sugestions?

Thank in advance

Last edited by markt; 12-13-2011 at 08:21 AM.
markt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Prolly sewer gas smell from your vents. Also sounds like you have a charcoal filter on the vent- installed by previous owner.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #3

Charcoal filter, what does that do, are they recomended?

I'll get up on the roof this weekend and take a picture of it.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt
We recently bought a 20 year old 2000sq ft split entry bungalow on its own septic system, the septic was pumped before we moved in (we have the receipt). This morning walking from the front door to the car I could smell what I would describe as a sewer type smell. It was cold this morning, around -5, and very calm (no wind).

During the summer I spent a lot of time in the yard and never noticed any smells before. There is a vent stack that comes thru the roof on the back side, near, but not at the peak of the roof and it looks like it has some sort of cap valve type of thing on the end of it.

I walked over to the other end of the house where the septic tank is and I didnt notice any smell, or stronger smell coming from that area.

From what Ive found reading on the internet, some sewer gas is heavier then air and can fall towards the ground when there's no wind. But is there anyway to take care of the smell? The Vent stack looks like it sits high enough out of the roof, although I havent measured it to make sure.

Any Sugestions?

Thank in advance
Hey markt, no suggestions but wondering if you found a solution yet. I just installed a new septic tank and sense then there has been a terrible odor especially when it's calm. Any suggestions?
reggie.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Just how high is the vent above the roof line?

A vent works the same as any chimmney. Air has to be able to pass across the top of it to create a negative pressure to draw out the gas.
If the vent is obstructed, not tall enough, blocked by other roof lines, even a chimmney blocking air flow can allow the gas to build up.

It's rare to see a charcoal filter on a vent pipe so this problum is not new.
Just using a coupling and adding a longer pipe, or rerouting the vent to a higher point in the roof and patching the old hole can make a big differance.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

I havent had the smell at all during the summer, I only seem to get it in the winter on cold calm days.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just how high is the vent above the roof line?

A vent works the same as any chimmney. Air has to be able to pass across the top of it to create a negative pressure to draw out the gas.
If the vent is obstructed, not tall enough, blocked by other roof lines, even a chimmney blocking air flow can allow the gas to build up.

It's rare to see a charcoal filter on a vent pipe so this problum is not new.
Just using a coupling and adding a longer pipe, or rerouting the vent to a higher point in the roof and patching the old hole can make a big differance.

On a 2" plumbing roof vet, how tall shoud the exhaust stick above the shingles?

Adrenalinejunky is offline   Reply With Quote