Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sewer smell in house

we have a very strong smell in one room in the house that has persisted for two days and then diminished. We have checked drains and upstairs pipework and can not find from where the smells is ingressing the house. Any ideas how this can be traced. We have previously had professional drain people in who have cost hundreds of pounds but not resolved the issue. It comes and goes for no apparent reason

Ian Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,128

sewer smell in house

Dry drain trap from lack of use, fix by simply adding water by turning on the tap for a min.

Leaking wax ring under a toilet, fix just replace the wax ring, 15 min. and a $5.00 wax ring.

A vent line near a window.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

sewer smell in house

In addition to what Joe said, I would throw out there that a plumbing vent could be somehow clogged, causing the a trap to siphon, and thus allow gas to enter from the sewer.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

sewer smell in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Spence View Post
we have a very strong smell in one room in the house that has persisted for two days and then diminished. We have checked drains and upstairs pipework and can not find from where the smells is ingressing the house. Any ideas how this can be traced. We have previously had professional drain people in who have cost hundreds of pounds but not resolved the issue. It comes and goes for no apparent reason

I am going to ask the big question. Which room is it? When did this start? Was there any new construction or remolding?

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hardway For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-23-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 660

sewer smell in house

Smoke test. No guessing, if its methane from your sewer a smoke test will confirm it. If its sewer gas this condition is dangerous ,,Our web site explains a little more, www.americandrain.net . if you go that route you need to find someone in your area that specializes in this test. Its not just blowing smoke in to the pipes. I have done test on buildings that were cleared by other companies here locally. We have retested and found the sewer gas leak. Good luck

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

sewer smell in house

I had a problem with a sewage smell in my house the past few months that I recently (temporarily) solved. The smell was in the entire house but I traced it down to it coming from the basement furnace room, more specifically the ejector pit for our basement bathroom and drains for the water softener. Somehow the seal on the pit must have gotten punctured and everytime the water softener would drain out it would stir and splash the wastewater in the pit causing the gasses to escape and stink up the entire house. I checked the pipes to make sure they were all connected sucurely and valves were working properly then I re-ran the softener drain hoses and sealed up the pit lid with some Great Stuff. This has eliminated the problem entirely for a couple bucks. I am sure that I will need to access the pit for some maintenance and at that time I plan on replacing the actual pit lid/seal but for a quick fix, the foam insulation has worked wonders.

DavesWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavesWS6 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-25-2012)