Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

sewer smell in the bathroom

We have a bad sewer smell coming from our bathroom. I filled the tub with water and covered the overflow with plastic and duct tape. Did the same to the sink, covered the toilet bowl and tank with plastic and taped them down, covered the vent in the ceiling, still the bad smell persists.
Lifted the door to the attic above and dint smell the sewer smell so dont think its s a dead animal up there.
Any suggestions where to go next. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

bathroom plumbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #2

The most common problem is a dried out or crushed wax ring under the toilet which is allowing the "sewer gas" to escape back into the room. There can be other situations that are more difficult to trace and more expensive but I would start by replacing the wax ring. I wrote a blog on a great procedure for this just yesterday. If you check my profile here my blogsite address is listed. There are also a whole series fo blog of mine published here on this discussion group blog section about smells, causes and corrections. Hope this helps.

faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #3

I agree that it is probably a bad wax seal. Since the trap for a toilet is built in, any water leakage below the toilet can cause the odor. If you have access to under the toilet (crawlspace), you will probably find water dripping.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #4

Faucetman and majakdragon, thanks for your reply. Although we did duct tape around the seal where the toilet meets the floor and still had the smell, I will replace the wax ring given that its an easy fix and seems to be a frequent culprit. This bathroom is on a second floor. Will perform the fix and let you know. Many thansk for taking the time to wite this good advice. Faucetman, thank you for the column on installing two wax rings, makes good sense. Thanks for all your help and good articles. I went back through many of your postings and found some good tips. Thanks
bathroom plumbe is offline   Reply With Quote