Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sewer Smell in Bathroom

I have a bad sewer smell in my small bathroom. I got on the roof and dropped a garden hose down the vent it seemed unobstructed. I ran the water from the garden hose for quite a while and could hear it (from the crawl space) running out to the sewer and it did not backup. While I was in the crawl space I decided it would be a good idea to install a trap. See the following images:

I still have a sewer smell, even after installing a trap. I have since reset the toilet with new wax ring but still have the smell.
Any thoughts?

Ok, so now I notice the smell from my kitchen sink. It has a trap (as well as the toilet and sink in the bathroom). So, does that mean these are being emptied? Should I suspect a leak in the vent stack?

dc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Sewer Smell in Bathroom

You may want to reconsider the "central" trap you have for your bathroom. Your toilet already has one trap built in the porcelain. I think adding an additional trap downstream from the toilet is asking for trouble.

Sorry I don't have any good suggestions for fixing the sewer gas smell.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Sewer Smell in Bathroom

As you've already been advised...get rid of that new trap. That will cause more problems than solving any. You might want to consider a clean-out there while you're at it.
If you have a sewer gas smell in your kitchen or bath, you obviously have a partial clog somewhere in the venting causing a trap to be siphoned out to create another "vent" whenever water is draining through the system.
You may want to snake the vents from the roof with a heavy-duty plumber's snake and THEN flush it down with a garden hose sprayer.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Sewer Smell in Bathroom

The photo shows branches to the laundry and the kitchen sink /tub, if done correctly these branches will have their own branch vents and flushing down the the stack vent will do little if the branch vent is plugged. You could try removing the sink trap and try to expose the junction were the horizontal drain meets the vertical . Then try to snake the vertical branch vent.
The photo also shows a short 1/4 bend at the base of the stack which is not proper in Mass. But seeing there isn't much room, it will have to do. I wonder if the flushing of the toilet and discharging the wash-machine at the same time is causing the trap seals in the other fixtures to siphon?
plumcass is offline   Reply With Quote